Safety test question.

I am looking at this 1990 240sx here for 500$. It has 248 000kms on it, 5 spd manual. He said there are a few rusts spots on the body, He claimed they were minor. It needs brake pads (how much are they? 50$?)Now this is the major part. He said that the frame needed welding in one spot and said it should be fairly easy, as he enquiried someone about it. He was pretty honest about the problems, as he was planning to use this as a project car too. He said no timing rattling, or anything, said the transmission and all sounded great.

I am going to look at it though, and bring this guy I know along with me to actually physically look at the car first.

I had heard from an uncited source, that even if a cars frame has been welded and repaired, it won’t pass the safety test. Is this true? Sounds like BS to me.

BTW I have no welding, and pretty much no automotive experience. Though I would love to learn. I was planning to pay someone to do the swapping and other work for me in the summer. Good buy?

na itll pass if u get it fixed. i had a 90 and it was just as u discribed it and i got it for 300 , i personally would go with 91+ becuz less rust and over all thers less issues to deal with like ps lines and other litle things

Alright, thanks for the reply. I just read like an endless list of pre 91 240sx problems, and It scared the hell outa me. Ye ok, I will pass, I will just get a 91+ 240sx. I am hoping that I will find a cheap s14 :slight_smile: