school me on lsx motors

alright, im planning on going lsx/t56 in my s10. after having the bottom end go in my small block, and the fact that i need another transmission soon, i decided this may be a cheaper route given my current situation…

my thoughts are to buy a wrecked camaro with an ls1/t56 drivetrain. im thinking around 4k is what one would go for? i figure i can get 1500-2k from my current sbc topend, other swap and sbc parts. then part out and scrap the rest of the camaro to make back the balance of buying the car.

im also looking at this option as the power potential is much better. sure i would love a sbc with a 6-71 sitting ontop of it, but i can get the same power out of one of these motors for less work, i think. i eventually want boost, but what kind of power can i expect?

any weak links in these motors? what are the best bang for the buck parts horsepower wise for these motors.

i dont even know what these were rated at stock, lol. just trying to get as much information as i can before i start seeking out parts.

A cammed LS1 with a set of heads would make your truck stupid fast. 400-450whp, nasty torque and top end. Should put down just over 300 stock and 330-350 with a tune/mild bolt ons. If you need some more power, hit it with a 100 or 150 shot.

Such a good decision

Try to find an 01+ IMO as it will come with an LS6 intake, better clutch hydraulics, better heads, better rod bolts, better clutch, prob a few other things im not think of.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

def good to know, that ls6 intake was something i was wanting to do, but thats awesome if it already comes on the newer ones. didnt realize the other things tho. thanks.

:tup:

There are some decent stickied threads on ls1tech.com Overall the site is full of people just spewing what they read as experience though. There is a hybrid section with some decent knowledge in it. I love LSX swaps and have have my hands in a bunch of them at this point. Let me know of ANY questions you have. Luke L and I(ok Luke is ha!) are redoing all of my wiring and have master cheat sheets for conversion stuff if ya need it.

I’d suggest using a Iron 6.0L block stroked to a 408 with some L92 heads and nice custom cam if you’re going to build it anyways. :slight_smile:

I was going to say the same thing. You’re coming from an SBC, so weight probably isn’t too much of an issue. You can get an lq4 or lq9 (both 6.0’s), or even an lm7 (5.3) for a fraction of the cost of an ls1. There’s people putting down some serious power with stock internal truck engines.

Well a first important factor here is what accessories and oil pan re needed for this swap? If you need f-body stuff then I do not think money would be saved on a 6.0 and 5.3s are meh unless you simply want a cruiser.

:tup: I want to follow this build. I plan on building a V8 S-10.

Dude, you totally helped out. :slight_smile:

But yes, if you have any questions with regards to wiring then let me know. I assume with the SBC swap you have a good handle on it anyways.

Also need to know if you are keeping it stock or building it at all.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/lsx-conversion-information-390967/

good info in that thread, though most is irrelavent to me as my truck is bare bones.

i intended on using a camaro ls1/t56 as i thought it would be the easiest route to find a smashed up one and just swap the whole drivetrain in. 6.0l would be nice, but then i would be having to source the separate engine and transmission. i do intend to build down the road, at the minimum a tune and cam right away during the swap. headers would be fabricated. i shouldnt have any issues for oil pan clearance as i have already notched my crossmember. wil probably just make my mount mount adapters.

i dont think weight is a concern, with me in the truck and the current sbc it weighed in at 3160 lbs.

thanks for the responses guys, by anychance are any of you running custom pulley/bracket setup? i am not running ac or power steering or anything like that so i would only need pulleys for alternator and water pump…dont really want a serpentine with a bunch of idlers in it haha

If you get an electric water pump you can run just crank to alt and use the bmr adj alt/tensioner bracket. Its so hot you just have the one short belt.

I am running just crank, water pump, alt. Although I am not 100% finalized on my routing yet. I think i might relo the stock tensioner where the alt idler is. I need to post pics

Post some pics BRO!

Why didn’t everything come with an ls1?

The world just isn’t ready for that much awesome yet.

I have enjoyed my LSX ownership.
LS6/T56
LSA/T6060

my next build will involve an ls1 i think, or a 5.3/6.0 wil boost sauce. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm