School Shooting in CT

anon…
http://www.anonpaste.me/anonpaste2/index.php?951b8d55089d242c#B7+qL6G61UQAaLjq4hX076EcR2J+UHsdWwZpj3cukjI=

Brent D. Roper-Phelps Human Resources Lawyer for NAIC Employee at Foot Locker DOB 04/06/1963 Husband of Shirley Lynn Phelps-Roper

WTF?

He’s such a greasy piece of shit.

He was saying that banning 10+ round clips unless they were built before 1994 and basing restrictions on meaningless cosmetics like long guns with pistol grips accomplish nothing. He’s right.

not it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/15/sandy-hook-shooting_n_2306479.html

“One student claimed to know karate. “It’s OK. I’ll lead the way out,” the student said.”

Ballsy 1st grader.

Another knee jerk, try to make stupid people feel good reaction. Every night I pick my kid up from after school care at her elementary school. The day of the shooting the side door they have parents enter (all other doors are always locked) was locked with some tiny unarmed teachers aid “guarding” the door and letting people in. Nevermind that the door has a window, and if I’m armed with 3 guns like the shooter I could easily just shoot the window and open the door. Fast forward to day 2 and that side door is again locked, with no one letting people in. Now we have to go to the main door, which is almost entirely made of glass, where again a tiny unarmed teachers aid is pretending to be a security guard. Wonder how long they’ll keep this nonsense up in the name of heightened security.

What’s worse than bad security? A false sense of good security. The unarmed teacher provides zero security and simply makes an easy target to get +1 on the final death toll, in the event that something does happen.

Going forward design security into schools?

Steel core class room doors and ballistic glass around primary ingress?

i’ve worked on designs for several primary schools and the fact is that you can’t make these places into bunkers and all trends are towards opening them up more to save on energy and increase beneficial daylighting. if this incident pushes the trend back towards a bunker-like design it will be unfortunate.

obviously you could add bullet proof glass and such but a typical school building budget is almost always stretched to begin with and could never accommodate the huge premium on such specialty glass throughout the entire building. perhaps they could afford shatter proof films but a few good kicks will pop those out of the frame.

these issues of security arise after each of these shootings. i think every single faculty user meeting i have sat through since virginia tech has included long discussions over whether or not there should be large areas of glass into classrooms…some say visibility is the best security others want to have a concrete wall…

Why do you need an armed guard at an elementary school in Amherst?

here in my town they just had a budget line item approval to hire retired state troopers to act as security in the district schools. they were also working on funding to train and arm the former officers…this all happened early last week. yesterday they were at every school with guns.

There are many high end private schools that incorporate these elements into their buildings. I know a guy that runs high security down here for a school you’ve never heard of and its crazy solid. Just to drive you’re car into the gate you need to call, get a password and even then you only pull into a staging area. You child is then brought out to you by an armed “teacher” who also asks you if you are alright. If you are being held or forced to get your child there are several code phrases you tell the guy which trigger different events. Something such as “Good evening the sky is a pretty blue today” would mean there is a man in the car with a gun forcing you to get your child.

There is little to nothing we can do to curve these shootings. Gun control won’t work. Better mental health care won’t work. Keep in mind. This was an ideal upper class family. If they didn’t have the help or resources available to curve the trend, no one will. This child was raised with everything available to him. All the help he needed, all the time and care given to him by his mother. The resources this family had were endless. The mother was a 1%'er on ALIMONY. The father had to have been making close to 7-figures. This wasn’t a broken home. Hell, even the divorce was attorney-less and amicable beyond belief.

Statistically, if 50 school kids die from spree shootings in a year (that’s a very high number), thats .0000001% of kids enrolled in school in the US. (Assuming there are ~50,000,000 kids enrolled from K-12). As Fry said earlier, you can’t enforce policies for the statistical outliers.

---------- Post added at 10:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

Because your child might become part of the .0000001%, every 5 years.

I think it’s unfortunate we even need to have this discussion. Especially to the new(er) parents of NYSpeed.

A security gate around the premise would be a good investment I think as ultradriver mentioned. Bulletproof glass seems like another wise investment for at least the classroom doors. I’m sure there are also systems that can trigger all the doors to lock if needed.

You don’t want it to turn into shooting fish in a barrel either. There is no easy solution.

Just leave things how they are. Like Fry said, you can’t write policies for outliers.

Except a strong male influence. I’ve read some interesting theories on how these guys tend to be passive-aggressive frustrated beta males. It might be a bunch of bullshit, but the theories are interesting.

The beta-male thing is just armchair psychology, but here are a couple of more well thought out analysis of what drives this stuff:

Pretty much they’re all mentally sick. Like clinical mental disease, not just angry or weird. They all believe they’re victims. It’s not their fault they’re unhappy, its everyone else out to get them. And they have some sort of hero/martyr complex. “I’ll show them!”

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Yep. It’s somewhere in the middle. You don’t want people to come and go freely, but I’m also not going to send my kid to school in a bunker. It’s not needed, and teaching that kind of baseless fear just breeds the pseudo-commando complex that builds these mass killers in the first place.

and as part of this we have to understand that sometimes you can’t do anything and bad things will happen. Spending unlimited resources to catch a couple crazy people who will just find another way won’t really work. It sucks, but in life you can’t insure against everything.

So what is there, 1 school shooting every 10 years?

As of the 2002 census there were 13,500 school districts in the US. Assume each one has primary, elementary, middle, and high school. That makes for 54,000 schools in the country.

Any given kid is in the school district for 13 years. So there would be 13/10 school shootings in the US in any given kid’s school career. 1.3 shootings/54,000 schools = .000024% chance of a shooting at your kid’s school during their career.

Obviously these are very rough numbers but it serves the point. Designing laws or buildings specifically for this is time and money that could be spent protecting kids from much greater risks. How about safer playgrounds that still let the kids develop gross motor skills, self confidence, and social skills? More discussions about performance based pay for teachers? Pay teachers more on a whole? Smaller classrooms? Mental health education?

lol .000024% of kids are likely to see a school shooting, but according to the CDC 11% of people over the age of 12 are on antidepressants. Yet we talk about gun control.