School Shooting in CT

I guess I can back that.

Morals won’t help crazy.

Made me think of the opening to the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy for some reason.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has—or rather had—a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they’d all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small café in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything.

Sadly, however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone about it, a terrible, stupid catastrophe occurred, and the idea was lost forever.

This is not her story.

Completely agree. Religion, specifically Catholicism, provides structure and instills the fear of a higher being. Whether you buy into it or not is another topic, but it provides a lot more than hope that there is a Pizza party in the sky after you kick the bucket.

This coming from an atheist that went to a catholic school until high school.

Some say that is why religion exists.

I’m in the same boat and on board with this statement.

Same here, and I agree with the statement. Not exactly happy about that fact, but I can’t deny the truth in it. Maybe we should just have the stupid people spayed/neutered, get Bob Barker back on TV to spread that message

Our society is a such a pressure cooker. The more they take away rights/freedoms…and the more they steal our spending power…the more volatile things will get.

because god works in mysterious ways, DUH!!!

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

+1…I went to catholic school up until 7th grade and now don’t believe in god…I do consider myself a pretty spectacular human being though, I’m pretty much the opposite to mean to everyone. Well, except ex-g/f’s and shit like that.

what I mean to say, is I believe children should be brought up WITH religion but free to form their own opinion on it later in life. I rebelled on going to church around the age of 15 and haven’t set foot in a mass since, besides weddings of course. I had religion forced down my throat as a child, which I think has a lot to do with my personal morals that I choose to live by…even though I don’t beleive in religion any longer, that set of morals seems to have stuck.

I have been avoiding news coverage of this.
The bits I had seen aggravated me. News reporters have no business discussing these matters with children. Regardless of how their parents feel.

Having an 8 y/o and a 6 y/o in school AND taking part in way too many school events and activities, I feel terrible for those involved.
Kids at that age are awesome. Most don’t have a care in the world and are learning about the great things the world has to offer.
I don’t care nearly as much about high school kids shooting at each other as society has had plenty of time to jade them.

I can’t wait to see how the generation of today’s 20 somethings will be generalized in the future. “I’m pretty sure it will have the word bag in it.” - Dilbert

One of the most memorable parts of a news report was where two idiots were discussing the events with each other while outside a church only occasionally looking at the camera to speak.
That makes for great TV :bonk: I hate TV News.
The American public has no need to know the intimate details of the event. It serves no point other than glamorizing it.
I am a firm believer in, out of site, out of mind. Stop trying to make TV news more like TV shows.

I would not go so far as to require firearms on school grounds. I can see a benefit, in that these events usually come to an end once a 2nd gun shows up, but I would much rather require
all teachers be trained in hand to hand combat. At least thats going to benefit all students. How many poor school kids are going to assault their teacher when the teacher has
permission and the ability to use force in a defensive manner.

I also think now is probably a good time to apply for a handgun permit. Does the safety class taken at buffalo gun center expire in less than 8 years?

Here’s the best one from the social networking cesspool this morning:

“If we shouldn’t have gun control laws because criminals won’t follow them, why have laws at all?”

I don’t know, maybe it has something to do with redundant laws and the progression of logic? Murder is already illegal. Gun control attempts to prevent murder by making a lesser crime out of the means to the crime. We went over this in like 9th grade.

P implies Q
Not P
Therefore, not Q

Murder imples a gun
Not following a murder law
Therefore, not following a gun law

Gun control tries to do this
P implies Q
Q
P is indeterminate

Murder implies a gun
Gun law
Murder is indeterminate

Belief in gun control requires denial of basic logic.

Here’s another one you all can quote: Since the first time in our childhood that we were told that a small candybar is “fun sized” the world has been trying to make us accept disinformation and logical contradiction.

^LIKE.

Fry… you’re my hero

I love how much thought he puts into everything… he must be really bored.

Or really jacked up on maple syrup

That and my gears never stop turning. That’s why I read so much. I get sick of doing my own thinking so I crack a book and just follow along for a while.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6894166016/h4C99A41A/

I would simply say that to believe controlling guns will have no effect no murder rate is the denial of basic logic. Zero guns mean zero gun shootings. How to effectively legislate guns is the real question.

you do know that people can make guns on their own

i mean people have been doing it for 700+ years

not selling them wont eliminate them

Theoretically you are correct. Less guns means less chance of shootings happening.