School Shooting in CT

The only reason this is even a debate currently is because of outlier events.

We seem to be able to track guns pretty well US Gov -> Mexican Drug cartels -> Dead border patrol agents

Nobody on here was taking a stand when a bunch of people got shot by hand guns in the hood lol

people were taking a stand, nobody was listening or thought they had a chance with the power of the NRA. It always takes something sensational to get attention i.e. 9/11, benghazi

So then after the fact, when someone gets killed, how would knowing where the gun came from stop the murder? So they can trace it back to the legal gun owner and somehow make him responsible for an act someone else committed with his stolen property? Because I could quickly see that being an issue. This not even taking into the account that most of the guns used in crimes are unregistered, and nothing would stop a criminal from removing a serial number deeming the gun untraceable. If your theory is true, then handguns would never be used in crimes… after all, they are all registered in NYS right?

Edit: And I see you still didn’t respond to my post #476 please come up with a logical argument…

Look at all the state laws being proposed 95% focus on assault rifles banning them not registration

Take NY 5 deaths from rifles last year now look at all the wasted effort trying to ban rifles

Give it up Theblue.

i find this hilarious.

the pro-gun perspective is the one cherry picking facts and you should know this from your trading experience.

when someone picks a handful of random towns that have loose gunlaws and few gun deaths that is like picking the 16 days out of 365 days that a stock went up while ignoring the 365 day trend of going WAY DOWN…

high level gun crime stats compared country to country are not cherry picked stats, they are the overall trend over an extended period of time and they are what law makers have to focus on… not the minutia or outlier data.

the problem is that it isn’t possible to take counter-points to those high level stats seriously when they are stated so ignorantly like Alex Jones did. a sophisticated or educated person can only roll his eyes and move on.

is there someone out there pro-gun that is intelligent and reasonable that can be an effective leader for the pro-gun side? because Alex Jones and that NRA guy are idiots, to put it mildly.

Florida crime is at a record low and gun owners/ccw holders record high

The comparing country to country is bs

How many major cities does Canada have?

same thing with England

Realize where the majority of gun crime is its the inner city the US has many more poverty stricken inner city areas then any of those other modern countries.

All of the people “taking a stand” and “had enough” are basing all their argument on outlier events. None of them took a stand when people in the inner city of Chicago were getting shot by handguns.

If they actually looked at stats on crimes they would be going after handguns instead of spending all this effort towards guns that pose the least statistical risk

FLORIDA YAY!!!

I’m with you here. The gun control debate always seems to be a contest of who can lick which side of the window the cleanest.

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Such as?

Drunk driving has been curbed by steeper penalties… Which should be the same for gun problems. I’m all for locking up users of illegal weapons for 20 years+

Just don’t infringe upon my right to legally own them.

Biden wants to be POTUS in a bad way, he just said BHO can use executive order on the gun control situation. LMAO.

Hi: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_cities_by_population

2 of the top 10 NA cities by population are Canadian (Toronto and Montreal), 4 others are not American… america has less than half of the 10 ten cities by population in North America.

And London has a slightly higher population that NYC. It is true though that the shittiest neighbourhood in toronto (Jane and Finch) you can still pretty much walk around at night without any issues. I’ve picked up tires at night at Jane and Finch and my fibreglass gets made a few blocks from there.

Your citing one of 50 states (FLA) ignoring the fact that overall (all 50 combined) do not follow that pattern is basically the counter-arguement that isn’t. get a better one please :slight_smile:

The size of the city wasn’t my point.

The concept here is the US has far more urban areas/cities then any of those other countries.

Also poverty and drugs play a hugggeee factor in crime.

My argument here is none of the laws people propose do anything to address gun violence in inner cities which is a huge majority of it…People are not shooting each other with $3000+ AR15s or AWBs in the hood and the stats back that up.

I agree with this portion. It’s the percentage of owners that feel those regulations will be “too strict” for their tastes. So what if a gun toting hillbilly wants an AK to shoot his tractor? I don’t give a shit. I think it is entirely different when someone in a downtown highrise has an arsenal because guns are cool and my dudebro shirt collection is complete so I need a new vice.

I can’t have an open fire in backyard because the town regulate that. So, regulate gun ownership and sales by region and proximity to major populated areas. If your address is contained in a restricted area a gun store can’t sell Weapon class 3 and 4 to you…

If your caught, BAM. Fine.

All current owners within those restricted area are grandfathered in if they apply for a special liscense or something. Not everyone will LIKE it but hey…you can keep your shit. I’m sure some hybrid permit can be created too.

Will it stop people from rolling into towns and doing a “sweep and clear?” No. But, it should help.

Get out of here with your statistics! Clearly the top gun is far more dangerous than the bottom one and needs to be banned :picard:

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/04/23/378454_01_new_archangel_ruger_10_22_cust_640.jpg

I agree with LZ. People will still get guns and kill someone. But, if you limit the guns in those areas, Legally, you may see a decrease in innocent bystanders.

“gun toting hillbillies”? Really?

How will regulating “Legal guns” within city limits stop criminals from killing people with guns?

I’m all for background checks to purchase any firearms no more FTF and go FFL -> FFL for all guns but the thing is when people get denied someone needs to properly follow up.

And I only mention the above is because idiots like the one that shot up rochester could have been dumb enough to try and purchase a gun and get denied before asking someone else to do it for him.

Foureyed - It absolutely won’t. Criminals will always get guns, illegally.

As far as gun toting hillbillies, it’s true. You can’t tell me that they A) Don’t Exist and B) Won’t go quitely if the “The MAN” takes their guns.

So, give them their guns and let them be happy.

But, if my neighbor decides he wants to by a gun and kill eveyone that boards the bus on the corner there needs to be some regulation. So when he is tried his only defense is I obtained my weapons illegally.

Ok, so it’s not a “insanity” plea. It’s pre-meditated. Guilty. Remember, most people get guns due to relaxed regulations and then commit crimes.

You can’t stop a determined criminal. You can only make it harder to commit the crime.

Hide the Red button and it won’t get pushed. People are lazy.

EDIT: Reply to LZ. YES!

I see Biden is suggesting Obama use an executive action to push through gun control.

Always wanted to see how presidential succession worked in real life, might get a chance if this administration is dumb enough to try that one. Someone will take a shot at him if he thinks he can strip gun rights by bypassing Congress.