Search function?

:wtf:, while in the work skin it doesnt seem to be working… is this function down?

I just came in to say THE SEARCH FUNCTION SUCKS! HOW HARD IS IT TO MAKE THIS WORK CONSISTENTLY?!

VB’s search sucks… We will be making some changes over the next two months. We are working very hard and very diligently behind the scenes to bring amazing new features and capabilities as well as making the existing features and common items that are broken work properly and even better. There is a new version of Vbulletin that has just been released and it is not just an upgrade, but a whole new backend. We are exploring its capabilities and looking at it as a solution to make everything flow and work better. This is still brainstorming and we will make announcements as we move forward.

Cliffs: Please bear with us as we are only fixing Major issues that are mostly security and load time related. We will be moving forward on upgrades that will fix the balance.

Bump…search function is SHIT! SORRY i had to be blunt. TONS of repots and i can’t find any old posts i was looking for. Might need to be looked at sooner. JMO

Why can i only quote in this section? Not edit?

Editing is disabled in the announcements and the feedback sections

Is there a list of guidelines on how to make the search; search properly? I can’t search words like SBC, or S4. And if you type in Audi S4 or SBC intake it still omits the S4 and SBC. What can and can’t be used to the search function?

theres a minimum amount of letters that will be searched. that way if you type in a thread title such as “a dog just hit my car” the letter “a” wont be searched so now every single post will come up.

correct me if im wrong.

Search would be infinitely better if you would just re-enable 3 character search terms. Right now it looks like it only recognizes 4+ character search terms.

If half the amount of time spent filtering and censoring posts was spent on fixing the search function, this site wouldn’t suck nearly as much.

Double the amount of time is being spent. We are working on the next version of the software which has a greatly improved search function.

lol at filtering and censoring posts.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/03/censored580.jpg

get back in your cage.

OK, I’ll try to be moar patient.

That’s so you can’t find shit I said. :tup:

BUMP

I know big changes are in the works, but really, would it be that hard to let 3 character search terms work again as a stop-gap until the beta is ready to go live? It’s got to just be a setting that is currently set to 4 right? I really wanted to put the drunk bills fan thread in “all that is man” thread but when you can’t search for “man” in the subject I’m not really sure how I would ever find that thread.

I had the same problems searching for “MR2” the other day.

It is set to 3 and it’s been that way since this thread was started. There is something else going on that won’t let the 3 character search work. And it hasn’t been a priority honestly since our next upgrade is going to nullify all the work we would do to find / fix this problem.

The reason is not on our end, but on the hosts end. The search is limited to 4 characters by a SQL server setting. I can not change our hosts settings, and they will not change it for me.

… But we sure a hell can change hosts…