Seeking Motivation...any suggestions?

My car has been sitting, untouched, for a few weeks now in my driveway…and i dont see that changing any time soon.

It won’t start…problem started with delayed throttle response, and rev’s dropping a few hundred before going up when i would tap the gas…

this turned into extremely rough running, struggling to keep up even 600 RPMs, and bogging down and dieing within 30 seconds of startup…with the fuel pump in high speed buzzing away behind me (made me think it was flooding itself…but what would cause that…?)

i checked for codes, nothing, checked TPS, fine, checked MAF, fine, cleaned all connections, checked for fuel, fine, checked all vacuum lines (almost all are visible), fine…and after each check, i would start the car to see if it was better…and one time, it didn’t start at all…and that’s how it’s been…still getting fuel, but not starting…

i really dont care enough to slave away all day every day on it…and have no intention of spending every day off i have from my job working on it. i’m NOT GOING TO SELL IT, so all the idiots that like to chime in on every thread i make, telling me to sell it…save my time and yours, and keep quiet…

i have yet to check for spark, because i honestly dont know how to do so with coil packs…is it the same as with regular spark plug wires? just pull a wire, hold it up to the intake or something, and visibly look for a spark? i’ve checked all the coils in the past month, and all were in great shape, and all plugs are new too…

ugh…

:hang::hang::hang::hang::hang:

:picard:

timing off perhaps?

i got an alldata pro account if needed i can send you some files let me know

andy

you can indeed check for spark same way with the coil packs. Just make sure its touching something thats grounded.

sounds electrical to me. get on that and check the spark

My MR2 has been dead since early June. I worked on it a lot, got nowhere, and now gave up and could care less at this point, and cannot afford to take it anywhere, not to mention the wiring-job on the swap is less than stellar.

I know how you feel.

My guess would be timing… How many miles? Ever had timing done?

:tdown: to ghetto swaps

i really dont think it’s timing…new timing belt about 20K ago, they’re good for 60K, and never had a time inssue before…i doubt the belt would have jumped at all…and still though, the car would start, just run like shit…timing would have to be off by more than just a little for it to not fire up at all, wouldnt it

it’s really not a money problem…everybody that tells me to sell it doesn’t realize how little money i’ve put into it…in the past year alone, other than maintenance…i’ve spend less than like $200 in random repairs…for a 17 year old twin turbo swapped import, that’s fucking great…

just, the problems i have take forever to figure out and/or get to…

Tell yourself if you don’t get shit done… then its just gonna continue to sit there …

If its not a money issue pay someone to fix it if your too lazy or dont know what your doing.

Injector(s) stuck open? You can check the resistance across them. I had one stick open on my SR20 the car ran like shit and would barely start.

pump in high speed buzzing away behind…

Fuel Filter. Change it. Plus good Maint…

My conquest and cavlier had this prob.
I checked gas was getting gas, but not enough and then after a bit motor would die cause not enough gas.

the wiring on the car is almost all stock, and the harness is new.

check to see if it’s damaged or frayed where it runs over the top/rear of the motor.

check the plug on the crank angle sensor. Does it still have that fucked up ignitor recall wiring mess on it? I can’t recall.

could be ignitor or ignition related but also check all the stupid stuff, fuel filter air filter etc.

I cant remember if these used one coil or were coil on plug. If its just one coil that could be it

You said its getting fuel… but how much? Does this car have fuel pressure regulator(s)? If so it could be stuck open. I’m not familiar with this car at all but the first things you should check for are: Spark, Fuel, Air. If you have a good spark and its obviously getting air (no squirrels in air box/tube) then the next step for me would be to hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see exactly how much fuel it is actually getting. Gooduck keep us posted on what you check and what you find to help us further help you.

just because it doesnt have a code, doesnt mean that the MAF is good

some cars will only throw a code after teh warmup sequence is complete, if you have not made it through the warmup it will not throw a code

you pull a plug and take a look at it. ur running more boost and probably rich your plugs are probably fouled. u check coils by checking for resistance u need the factory spec for good resistance and a volt meter. so my next question when do u want me to come by lol

ok i’m gonna try to respond to the past 5 or 6 whatever posts all in one here…

Choko:

i assumed fuel filter right away too…went to change it, bought a new one…before even changing it, i pulled the line off the old on (from the out side) to see if fuel would flow through it, put a bottle under it, and sure enough, tons shot out when i turned the key and the pump primed…i changed the filter anyway…

newman:

i didnt think to check the CAS at all…but will first thing in the morning…i dont know if what you were referring to in the second half of your post was the ignitor chip and the subharness for it…but the subharness i replaced last summer…so i dont see it being bad…but other wiring i will check soon…

viper:

i complete agree, can’t always go by what codes it throws…which is why i took my MAF and filter off, and put Woody’s on…and no change occurred… :gotme:

nitroinsane:

the plugs are new, less than 500 miles…i dont think it necessary to pull every coil pack in checking for spark, since for the car to not start at all, they all would have to be dead…if i was only missing one, it would still start…so when i pull one coil to check it, i’ll prob also pull that plug and check it out…as open as i am to any and all suggestions though, i’m not sure that plugs could go bad that fast when they’re rated for the boost i’m running, gapped correctly, and that new…

and yes joe, i would love a visit from you…i’ll have a 6 pack of your choice waiting if you want…i dont know the first thing about using volt meters and/or reading Ohm outputs etc…

i can find out whatever info you need regarding the spec’s/Ohm’s certain things should be reading ahead of time too so we have all the info we need ahead of time…