Serious Power Loss!

This problem unfolded on the ride home from drift event yesturday, and has continued. In certain gears, i don’t very little power, and only for a certain rpm.

For example,

1st gear is perfect, at all rpms

2nd gear gives me no power from 1800-2800 rpms (approx)

3rd gear gives me no power from 1800-2800 rpms (approx)

4th gear is perfect at all rpms

5th gear gives me no power from 1500-3200 rpms (approx)

The three gears 2, 3 and 5 are fine in the higher rpms. It feels like i have V-tec. LOL. I checked the MAF sensor and it looked fine, no wire tears, no rips in the intake pipe or anything. Checked all my fuses, and their all fine. Know this all leads me to believe its some kind of sensor, not the actual engine, because the engine is fine at all rpms in all gears, minus the ones i mentioned above.

Any ideas, on what the problem could be?

You sure your clutch isn’t slipping?

Were you in the event or just spectating?

motor?i`m guessing ka? have you checked your fuel pump?or sending unit

O sorry, forgot to mention its a stock ka24E, no engine mods, no nothing. I did a full tune up on it 2 weeks ago, changed fluids and everything. My clutch is still strong as fuck, i can take off in 3rd gear uphill. I was in the event, but to my knowledge theres no damage to the car.

Also, i don’t see it being fuel related, because at all other rpms other those mentioned its perfectly fine, same with the clutch, if the clutch was slipping it would have to do so in every gear???

my coupe did that a while ago it was a dis cap and rotor and timing

When i did the tune up, i did distributor cap, ignition wires, spark plugs, fuel filter. I haven’t done the rotor. The timing i didn’t touch at all ever. I’ll have to check the timing and distributor cap and i’ll replace the rotor tmr i guess. Could it be anything else guys?

you can leave your timing but your gonna have to put a new rotor on that may help

Ok time for update.

So I changed the rotor. Only to find know I get the problem in all gears, and even in neutral. In neutral it loses power from idle all the way to 2500rpms or there about. And In all gears i have no power from the lowest point i can engage that gear without stalling all the way up to 3200 rpms.

I m about to do the fuel pump right now, i have one from my old car, that i m gonna swap in.

I’ll give an update once i do that.

Alright, so i just changed the fuel pump and checked all the fuel related things, and everything is good.

The problem is still there. My car has no power from idle to 2500 rpms (approx) in neutrel, and has no power in any gear up, even reverse, up to 2500-3000 rpms (approx). The thing with the power is, i only have the problem if i give more then 1/8 throttle, if i drive it like ppl with extreme fuel savings problems, then you can’t tell. But when u give it some gas, like more then 1/8 of full throttle then the car boggs down and just slowly creeps up rpms, till it hits that point where all the power comes back.

Need help.

are you running any sort of air intake?? if so id check ur maf to see if its on properly

wiring…check obvious shit. fuses, grounds, fusible links. Major pin outs on ecm. Continuity tests my friend.

Not running any intake, bone stock engine. I checked all the fuses and everything, several times. I haven’t checked the ecm though, how should i test that? And how do i check the maf to see if its working properly, because i checked to make sure it was plugged in, and if wires were all good, and it seemed fine.

can you get your hands on ecm pin out diagram?

If you can. just trace what ever you can with a volt meter.

Hmm, I have the fsm, i think its in there. Any idea’s on how to check the MAF sensor?

not sure really.

We just send them out to get them tested

Hmm, i’ll check out the ECM tonight then, and I’ll try seeing if the MAF is actually damaged, or fried.

how do the hot wires look on the MAF? nice and wirey looking lol. or blue/green burnt ish

lol, to get the answer to that question I’ll have to take a detailed look. What i do know is this is a problem that started back in April and gradually gotten worse after each track day, to the point where it is now.

Im almost positive im encountering the same problem…
Its very odd bog low to mid rpm at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle…
if i hold it in any gear at 1/4 throttle in that rpm range is just constantly hiccups… feels like its missing or something… its been driving me crazy…
To my knowledge it started happening after i did my intake… try swapping your maf out with another… im sure somone would let you do a switcheroo

im pretty sure its the maf for both you guys… i just had that prolem and im runnin an intake as well… make sure its on properly dont let the maf or the intake hanging. bolt em up properly