Shipping an engine,need advice

I’m trying to ship a VW 4cyl engine and transmission to a buyer in NH. I’ve already got the thing on a pallet and crated. I’m not sure who I should go thru for shipping something like this. If anyone has shipped something like this or knows who I should call/go to for this please LMK. Thanks

Mike

mike, pack it good and send it greyhound. i know people send large items like interior and bumpers through greyhound and as long as its packed well it should get there no prob :tup:

How much does it weigh and how are you going to load it in a truck?

i would only use a reputable shipping company…

I’m pretty sure it would need to go frieght. I don’t know the exact weight but i’d be willing to say it weighs between 500-600lbs maybe more and its 49"x41"x39" all crated up.

not sure on the exact weight and I can get in on my pickup with my cherry picker

Like who??? ups? fed-ex? this was preety much what I was asking

You can’t ship an engine greyhound . It needs to go ltl freight, google ltl freight quotes, or use fedex/ups

I am not sure who will pick up at residential.

I think you want to call a freight company like Yellow or Roadway. You’ll prolly have to drop it off at the freight yard and the guy buying it will probally have to pick it up at the nearest freight yard. That should be the most cost effective. Fed ex/ UPS will be outrageous

:tup: x2

We used to ship motors every day. I had an account with Conway. If you do a ton of business with them, you pay 50 percent of list.

They aren’t very “consumer” friendly, its intended for business to business or hub to hub transport, anything door to door is $$$$.

Freightquote.com is a website that is more consumer friendly that will compare prices based on your weight and freight class of what you are shipping.

You don’t have to crate them. We used to just put them on an engine pallet, then on a shipping pallet, then strap them and shrink wrap the entire thing.

I used roadway to ship an engine up to Canada. It was easy, as long as you can drop it off at a Roadway facility. I think things start to get confusing if they pick it up.

Thanks for the imput guys. I just need to get a more accurate weight and then I can start making some calls. I appreciate the help.

I’ve used Roadway a few times, always have good ship times and good prices :tup:

R + L carriers. you can drop it off at their place on river road, but the last time I shipped a motor door to door was actually less expensive. it’s the cheapest place I’ve found to ship motors, and they are very fast and reliable. I have used them many times, and recommend it