Shitty day at work (Deer story)

It sucked, it wrecked my day, totally. I was delivering on this tiny road in Williamsville called North Cayuga. It is a short dead end street that leads straight into a small park (where there are deer). As I was heading near the end, there is a small private road called Millrace North where I usually turn around. Right as I was about to turn onto Millrace this 6-point buck comes flying out of the woods and heads over to my right towards the condos on Millrace. I turned into the road, and saw this buck sort-of had himself cornered into this ladies front door area. There is a 6-foot high spiked fence all around and a 3 foot opening that allows entry. The deer panicked and started jumping up, trying to get over the fence instead of just going back out through the opening. Well…he ended up making it most of the way over the fence, but the spikes on the top of the fence went into his abdomen and he literally impaled himself. None of his hooves were on the ground, all of his weight was pushing down onto 2 or 3 of the spikes. I called 911 right away, and they dispatched the Animal Control Unit. The deer was still alive but I could see a little bit of blood, so who knows, maybe he made it, I didn’t stick around. I was sick to my stomach.

It sucks to sit there and know there is nothing you can do. The animal was freaking out for a while there. shitty…

FREE DEER MEAT!?

I almost hit one a couple days ago going from the 990 to the 290 towards the Falls and then again last night on Colvin in Tonawanda. They are everywhere lately.

that sucks. eesh.

i highly doubt they would try to save it though

They were there within 10 minutes, no lie. Not sure what they would do. Probably hit it with a tranquilzer to calm it down. Then assess how severe the damage was/is and take it from there. I’m sure they wouldn’t rush it to a vet for $5000 worth of surgery, but if it just needed some stiches, maybe.

I do have a pic, but I left my camera in my truck at work, I will post it up tomorrow.

well the apd got some target practice lol

Mmmm

:frowning:

likely. they wouldn’t tranquilize a deer to assess the damage. they would kill it. the apd has bigger things to worry about than wounded deer (like helping people paint their white picket fences).

Someone ate well tonight.

Could have been you. Next time snatch and run lol.

haha thats actually kinda funny to picture, way to many deer anyway…reminds me of when a deer jumped over the entire hood of my mustang and cleared the whole thing (instead of just going in front of the car since it was parked)