Shop that can fix brand new engine smoking?

I just recently had my SR20DET rebuilt by “The Block Shop” in Edmonton. I had it tuned at Autodream in Calgary. I am having some problem with it smoking pretty bad. Autodream told me it was the engine shops fault because it is burning off oil. Now I am looking for another shop who can replace whatever seal it is that the engine shop fucked up. Now I need some advise on who I should TRUST to fix this problem as I have already spent more money then I should have on this engine. Any input would be valuable!

Thanks Guys!

-Ryan

I work for a reputable shop, PM me and we can discuss your issue.

Good luck finding a “good” shop in Alberta when it comes to building or tuning.

thanks for the reply’s… keep them coming! =D

What color is the smoke? Have you done a compression test since?

white smoke i do believe. no it’s not coolant, it smells like oil.

Oil always shows up purple. Might be a head gasket

The thing I don’t get though is it is a BRAND NEW REBUILT engine from “The Block Shop”
What could they have fucked up.
It blow’s my mind…

its not new … things happen …its not an OEM all new parts built … they machine everything and put overbore/oversize parts in so it could be anything

Did you do any testing to the motor yet? Also how many Km’s on the motor before tuning and after? Did it smoke before the tuning?

yes it smoked before tuning, and still smokes even after tuning.
It has about 5000kms on it atm on newly rebuilt engine.
I’m guessing the engine shop shit the bed on a seal.
I checked the return oil line from my turbo thinking that might be the problem.

The only seals that would cause it to smoke would be rings, valve seals, which it should puff blue on start up, or head gasket. Does it smoke all the time or just on or off the throttle? You say its white smoke?

at cold start there is no real big smoke. after it warms up it smokes a lot more. I think it might be something in the head as i already had a problem with the head. They put my rocker arm stoppers on backwards causing knocking and a new cam shaft to be replaces.

when i say the engine is new its all new after market parts. The worst thing is i spent $13,000.00 on this engine!

as for the smoke color, it is either white or blue. can’t remember 100% it’s been a while since it was running. My friend says he remembers it to be a bluish color.

might be a bad turbo and a perfectly good engine

alright, i went and started it up again. it is definetly BLUE SMOKE.
Brand new turbo right from garrett

they could have put in shitty oil control rings or they gave out due to possible no break in period. realize that you can’t just lay into a brand new “built” motor. if you don’t let things “settle” after a build with aftermarket stuff things like this can happen. this is a pretty shitty deal though dude, why wouldn’t you just take it back and have them fix it instead of asking a bunch of random people that are telling you that burning oil through your motors comes out PURPLE…lol good luck with what ever you decide to do.

well it’s because I don’t trust the shop who built my motor not to fuck anything up again.

They ahve bad customer service. I took my car there, smoking, and they told me it wasn’t there fault and there is nothing they can do.

So I rather get someone reputable to fix it properly, the first time.

Also it almost seems to die down from smoking while the vehicle is under load(accelerating).

but if I rev it while in neutral at a stop, the smoke gets worse.

i hate trouble shooting… =p

A well built motor needs little to no break in just seat the rings etc. I run and break in all my motors at wastegate spring pressure which is around 700whp on my car. My car doesn’t smoke or use oil. The break in myth is just that with the new tech in rings if it isn’t broken in in the first 50kms its not going to break in.