Help! Something is wrong with my SR!

Ok so here is the story… I just recently installed a oil catch can into my s14 sr and a day or two later i start to notice the engine has a little more rattle to it at idle and it bogs a little at idle as well… Now today when I was driving home it got really bad and I was blowing smoke out of my intake and the breather whole in the catch tank… I’m boosting almost nothing now and I don’t know what to do… If anyone has some experience with this please let me know… Thanks

ok so i took a closer look today at it and there seems to be lots of white smoke coming out of the dip stick for some reason… as well as high volumes of white smoke out of the exhaust… i cant seem to figure out why the smoke is coming out of the dip stick… any suggestions?

Sounds like a gasket dude . . .white smoke usually means coolant . . .

headgasket.

would this also cause me to loose boost as well?

I would imagine so . . .the headgasket mates the head with the block making a good seal. If there is a leak, you’ll lose compression . . .so yes boost will be lost.

Try a compression test . . .

sounds good… i’ll do one of those today…

im thinking head gasket too but its also a good chance the rings are cracked.

ok so i did the compression test and the results are…

1st Cylinder - 130
2nd Cylinder - 90
3rd Cylinder - 165
4th Cylinder - 165

there was a little bit of oil on the bottom of the 2nd spark plug… and all of the plugs were burnt black and some of the tips were missing as well…

i took the oil cap off as well while the motor was running and there was high amounts of air being pushed threw the cap as well as a lot of white smoke… i am now fearing the worst…

Does the smoke smell sweet??? Is it a thick white smoke?? or more wispy.

Definatly your rings on number 2 are gone. Rebuild time

ya it does smell a little sweet… and it is thick… and this sucks lol…

that sucks i had the same problem last week

i bought another complete swap from speedtech

ya i may have to buy a new motor and switch everything over… or im seeing if maybe i can just buy some new internals and put them in there…

another option is a 2.4L stroker kit from auto dream :smiley:

i think what i’m gonna do now is tear the whole motor apart and take a look at the components and see what is messed and what needs replacing…

how much would it be to do a rebuild on a sr20…anyone know …

already looked up stock internals will run about 500… not to bad…

if i do the rebuild i will probably need a new head gasket and maybe head studs im not sure this will be my first rebuild so i shall be doing some research…

i am in the exact same position as u with my rb20 :rolleyes:,
big time now!

If your gonna rebuild, i would at the very least go with some ARP head studs and a good aftermarket head gasket. You never know when youll wanna throw a bigger turbo on there.

haha ya well i’m thinkin of a full build now… 2.4L stoker kit, studs, gaskets, everything… nice big juicy turbo… but we shall see what happens… maybe you guys can come up and help haha…

LOL

I am not even going to comment on it

question for you guys… is the only way to tell what is truly wrong with this thing is to rip it apart?

that stroker kit alone is going to run you about 3 grand let alone a turbo upgrade and all that other stuff…just do a rebuild…if you need to buy new rods,pistons all that crap you’ll be pretty far over 500 buks…but if you just clean everything and replace bearings and rings you should be ok…it all depends on what went wrong really