SINGH NEEDS E30 HELP

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

ok

this isnt going to work but ill post it here just incase something CRAZY HAPPENS LOL

The car was running fine for a while, sat for half a year and was put on the road again. Some stuff broke and was replaced and it was running fine again until one day I went to start the car shortly after parking it. It wouldnt start at all and I had to go so I let it sit for a couple days. When I came back the car started fine… it wasnt getting spark but now it was…

Now after that happened the car was running fine and never had an issue starting up, then just a week ago or so i was cruising down the road and the engine completely died, i still had all eletrical power and everything was working but the engine had NO spark…

I pulled over, tried to crank it for a while, nothing … So I waited about ten minutes and the car started… it jumped a few times while cranking and then finally fired.

I figured something was messed up but how could I figure out what it was after the car was running again? Later that day the car did the same exact thing again and since then it hasnt started at all…

I’ve got fuel and jumped the relay to hear the pumps run… I replaced the reference crank sensor… it was MESSED UP ! I replaced my ecu as well because there was one nearby that was working. I tested a different iginition switch as well.

Here is the funny stuff:

When engine is cranking, no spark.

When engine is cranking 90% of the time the fuel pump wont run.

When the ignition is turned on, no fuel primes…

No spark during any of this, but there is voltage to the new coil I put in a few weeks ago.

We turned the key once to crank the engine, and the engine wouldnt crank… instead the fuel pumps came on ! LOL and then turned it again and now the engine would crank but no fuel pump !

Also some possible key notes to mention:

When the key is turned on and then off again… the tach will JUMP ! to about 1k and come back down after the key is turned off… wtf???

Also when the car was running, the instant MPG meter would NEVER work… it seemed to have something to do with the eletrical draw on the battery… if i turned up the volume on my deck the meter would move … but stepping on the gas had no effect on the meter. I know this is random but im thinking it could be related possibly ?

Any input would be appreciated, today I want to go and test the port that the ecu plugs into and see if its getting the power and ground according to the bently manual.

Oh I forgot to mention that I replaced the main relay, fuel pump relay , etc etc.

Whats really messing me up is why is the car sometimes doing something different? Sometimes it will crank sometimes it will just run the fuel pumps, or not run them. Maybe the same with spark, tho i havent gotten spark for over a week now… lol

Thats why i replaced the ignition switch to make sure it wasnt something funky going on with the switch… but it was the same thing over again…

I didnt replace the speed crank sensor on the bell housing… that wouldnt matter anyways tho right ?

other comments like “fuck that shit scrap it singh” or other shit like that is really appreciated but keep it to your self or neg rep me the comments instead. I’ll prolly scrap it if i cant fix it by the end of this week, there is a pretty clean e30 shell im looking at. /PJB

Could be a bad distributor. I had a volvo for a winter beater years ago that would run fine then just randomly shut off and start up minutes later or hours later and it turned out the distributor was spent.

Ahhhhhh shit, thanks for saying that, I forgot to say over the winter I had to replace the plugs wires and distributor because it was running like complete garbage . So all that is brand new.

Also if it was bad, that wouldnt explain the funky thing with the fuel pumps coming on sometimes and the tach bouncing etc. It either runs great or not at all.

also the tach doesnt bounce or move while cranking the engine, and im pretty sure it used to…

Some cars are strange if there is no tach signal from the distributor it could cause the fuel pump to not power up

ill have to check the bently and see if thats true, good point possibly

main relay… wiring… something along those lines

yeah im thinking its a bad ground somewhere, or wiring between the main shit… the relays are good

im goin nuts niggs

Ls1 swap/thread

fuck, thats it man u got it ! im driving a beat ass e30 so it makes sense to do an ls1 swap with all that money im saving :rofl

Im glad you see the logic in my statement

Comfort module? I hear that the wierd problems that the E36’s get is from that. I think mine might need a new one.

How are you checking spark?

does it seem to crank better or seem to “catch” and want to start after is sits for a while after you dick around with it.

most engines dont supply fuel pump power till eng running thats why they prime on key up , i have seen ign switch problems and distributer problems on em as well . just cause its new dont mean its good . esp if its from adv auto or napa . anything a-1 cardone electrical is junk i did 3 honda dist,s from adv till i got a good one from a-i

I 2nd the bad ground thought, I’ve got some spare parts laying around if you want to try swapping stuff with known working parts. Or I’ve got a spare e30…

Singh iirc you replaced the cap, not the entire distributor.

yea all that stuff was replaced and is new vlad

anyways we fixed it tonight in the garage over at the studio,

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1337.snc4/162967_469672066245_536786245_6245183_5619197_n.jpg

the problem was…

the nut that held the power to the coil down was loose… and wasnt getting good enough contact… idk how the helll…i dont even wanna think about it…

so tightened that up and it runs fine now… O.o

fucker…see, dilligance always wins

nice tires

I came to record but didnt see the car…shoulda known u were in the garage

U should hit up the celly ***** damn, i was chillen after