skyline laws

really interested in a skyline and this one is a bit much then id like to pay but what are the laws i know cossey had 2, but idk if they are legal any more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-GT-R-GTR-/121034584576?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2e393200

Not legal. Unless it was imported by MotorEx, it’s not legal and can’t be made legal until th 25yr rule comes in. In 2014, you can legally import a 1989 GTR though, if that helps any.

Any links for info on this? I’m on my phone, will look later when I’m on pc. I have always wanted a 93 civic sir, or 91 crx sir. Granted I still have a few years to wait

What Cossey said ^

Importation laws on motor vehicles have clinched up tight since early 2000. It’s even made it difficult to get chassis with destroyed VIN’s in, Ie for a race chassis.

The S&D law that was brought about by Seinfeld and Gates for the 959’s can apply to certain vehicles, but it one for stature and I don’t think your car choice fits the bill. Not to mention mileage and registation limitations.

Then the car STILL has to meet US DOT/NTSB safety standards as well as EPA emission standards for that year. It tends to make most cars not worth importing as the cost often far exceeds the price of the actual car.

Read this article yesterday, relevant.

Hey cossey do you think the price on 1989’s are going to jump up? Should I snag one now and garage it if I want to save some dough?

thats the exact same thing im thinking of aswell

isnt that cheap as fuck?

Was thinking the same thing

I think the value of the non-MotorEx 89s will jump a bit, and the value of the MotorEx 89s will drop a bit, and I think they’d be equal in value at that point.

It’s also in Canada, where the car is legal to own. I doubt it’d even make it through customs.

In the US, EPA/DOT/CBP has the right to confiscate and destroy all non-MotorEx Skylines.

and motorex is out of business right? or was there another company that was importing them illegally?

MotorEx was the only company with government approval to import and legalize. After they went out of business, there was a company RB Motoring that was essentially doing the same exact thing to make them legal, but nothing was gov’t approved from them.

oh ok gotcha… i know i read something about it a long time ago just dont remember the details

I see. So how do you go about trying to register/insure a non motorex skyline then? Or is it not even possible to do that. I’ve seen non motorex skylines registered with plates before.

You’d need a VIN of some sort. I’ve heard lots of people get 240SX VIN numbers and attach them to the car they’re only registering/insuring a 240SX.

Some states allow them to be registered under specialty construction vehicles or similar, but the federal govt bans them. so if you have one you can get registered and slip past the radar, and don’t do anything stupid in it to draw attention(police) then you’d probably never have an issue.

Best guess is you are definitely going to see an initial spike in prices due to the “yo skylines are legal now” attitude amongst the communities. Price will probably hold for a bit but then drop once cars hit the market.

Trying to not do something something stupid i.e. speeding would defeat the purpose of me having it haha.