Slow gas leak.

Half a gas tank down and I’ve only put 40 miles on the car, I usually get more than double that amount. So what are some ways to find the source of the leak?

I think its only leaking when the car is running since the amount of gas is consistent when the car is off, but drops fast when driving.

UPDATE: Looks like it was just a bad tank of gas from the Citgo on Sweethome and Maple. Filled it up at a different location and havent had a problem since.

start by getting under the car and looking at all ur lines and gas tank…just dont be smoking if u do

Probably not a leak unless you’re smelling gas. Look around under the car, with it running if you really think it’s only leaking when running, but I’m going to bet it’s not leaking.

What kind of car? Got a check engine light on?

1986 200sx, there is no check engine light, only a “sensor” light that is permanently on because of the mileage of the car (FSM says to clip the wire to turn it off). I have on occasion smelled gas, i havent seen anything leaking, just have to look harder.

If you can’t find a leak, you can try a tune up. New O2 sensor, plugs, cap, wires, air filter.

A leak bad enough to halve your mileage should be pretty obvious. The filler tube on my wife’s old car rusted out and had just a slow drip when it was completely full and you could smell the gas standing anywhere in my front yard.

So if it only does it while it’s running what I’m trying to say is you probably would have burst into flames by now.

Check your lines. My mustang right now leaks like crazy because of a gas line. But it also only leaks when the key is on and the pumps running.