Slumlords, step in here please....

:tup: awesome work.

I have always turned faceplate screws to be flat my self

I also like my outlets to have the ground up, prevents something from falling onto the hot and neutral if the plug is partially out…although I understand the attraction of the anthropomorphic “face” orientation.

They are supposed to be ground up… some areas actually require it as part of the inspection. I am also crazy about the screws. I hate when they are all different directions, so much so that I have started spending the extra couple dollars on everything that I do to use only screwless plates. The only plates that I have in my current house that are screw plates are the different metal plates to match decor.

I’ve never seen it come up with an electrical inspector but I picked it up from doing lab design work…the would have a duplex outlet every foot of bench top. It would seem ridiculous until you saw the lab setup with equipment and cords going every where

So, we now have some history of the house. It’s bizarre. I have a good friend staying with us up at the house for a little while. We’ll call it a retreat or sabbatical for him.

Anyway, he’s been doing most of the cooking and shit while we’re working. Two days ago, he heads over to the town archives to find more info about the place for us.

Ended up with copies of menus, few newspaper articles, etc. Now, up until he did this, we were under the impression that the place was built in '82. Nope, not true. The original owners, the Pembrokes owned the land, 80 acres worth, since 1962. They built a house and a barn because their daughter wanted a horse. They ended up buying a bunch of other farm animals over the years as well.

Little by little people would visit all of the animals, and by the mid to late 70’s, they were doing real tours, with 10 full time guides. In 79, they realized that the place wasn’t really viable, even with a hot dog stand on the grounds. So in 82, the actual restaurant (Pembroke Meadows) was built.

Now, here’s the creepy part. This place specialized in lamb dishes. Like 5 different lamb dishes, and Mondays were all you can eat shanks for $5.95. I’m thinking that the Pembrokes, when they finally realized that the place wasn’t making money said “to hell with petting the critters, let’s cook them and sell them”. So they built the restaurant, which was actually pretty nice from stories I’ve heard from people who used to eat there. You could sit at the huge picture windows and watch the critters walk around. Peacocks, sheep, chickens, lambs, etc. The restaurant was closed on Tuesdays, which I thought was kind of odd.

There is a very large “garage” that’s a couple hundred feet to the North of the house. Always thought that was an odd place to have a barn. Away from the driveway and parking lot, and mostly built over a pond, but it had a 100 amp panel in it. Also noticed large hooks attached to rafters. Large table in the middle with electrical outlets around it. Yeah, that’s right, we have an old abattoir, and my lawn mower is currently parked in it. Tuesdays were slaughter days. One of my employees named that pond “Lamb’s blood pond”

My friend Glen says he hears weird things at night there when trying to sleep. I’m quite sure it’s the ghosts of hundreds of lambs.

Damn. I love lamb too, lol.

http://www.shagtees.com/images/thumbs/lamb_th.jpg

Once we’re fully moved in, we’re going to have a dinner party, and we’ll recreate some of the menu items, including lamb.

None of that mint jelly though… never understood that paring.

Mint Jelly/sauce is for people that don’t like the taste of lamb.

so he’s counting sheep…undead sheep…

Various pics, since I haven’t updated in a while. Got a little bit of time on my hands, since Sobo’s guys are here doing windows, and man are they quick and thorough (@sobo)

Started tearing apart the kitchen a bit. Found that a lot of the “cabinet” materials were old scrap and paneling. Having a friend do new base cabinets and countertops.

Good thing too, since the old wall oven wasn’t installed properly

More tearout

Horrendous wallpaper

House man making us food while we did work

And made handy gadgets out of materials at hand (we still weren’t living here at this point, but he was)

What a mess

Upper cabinets gone. Open concept, yo

House man leaves us a surprise when we show up one day

• Updated - - -

Moving onto this weekend. Critters everywhere. I’ve caught more snakes, frogs, toads, turtles…

Lower lawn has been soft, but thought it was going to be ok this weekend. Apparently one part wasn’t quite ready for mowing, but was ready for mudding

Smallest one I’ve found yet this year

So, yes I know most of you folks don’t like these guys, but we only have a few, and they’re fun to watch.

One of the two nests that I know of. The male was 2 feet to my left while I was taking this. When they hiss, they sort of do it with a lisp. I have named the male Thtaaaan (Stan with a lisp).

And finally, the frogs. Holy shit, the frogs. Turn the sound up.

lol, same frogs as there area where I grew up. It’s crazy loud.

Also, sweet bookshelf wallpaper :tup:

I’m just going to put that frog video on loop since I don’t have any near me and fall asleep to it.

Awesome.