small block chevy timing help

my buddy jim has a smallblock 355 in his s10 and recently he started having timing issues, it started the truck just died on him so he limped it home (no noises or anything) well tonight we replaced the distributer it was bad (loose, was actaully making a knocking sound and the gear teeth were worn funny) we set it for tdc and fired it up, ran SMOOOOOTH almost perfect, grabbed the light the focker is WAY off. thing is we can’t even get it close to where the timing mark should be or the truck stalls and sputters and wont start (obv out of time) so the timing marks are at 2 oclock on the motor the closest we can get is 12 oclock position. now to me this sounds like the chain jumped teeth but is there anything else we should check before pulling the dampener off?

you got hte dist. off a few teeth

you need to pull it out then set it in to it clicks into place, it has to line up with the shaft for the oil pump on the cam.

it did line up it wouldnt bolt in if it didnt’ line up, we set it at tdc that wasn’t enough, we set it + and - 2 teeth in either direction no go, the truck wont’ start, sputters, shoots flames out the carb…it only runs when it’s set tdc but the timing mark doens’t line up

Did the timing marks ever line up properly after he put the motor in? There’s several different timing tab positions used on SBCs… he might just have the wrong one for his dampner. Also, depending on the dampner type the outter ring can slide when the dampner breaks down making the timing marks off.

-TJ

put #1 piston up,take off left (driverside ) vaule cover,# 3 cylindrer exchaust vaule should be up !!!put in dist so the roter trap is pointing right at # 1 plug!!!

call if u need help 1-800-680-2959!!!

cap was put in pointing at plug number 1, the marks did line up as the motor was in time for like 6 months and then the truck just died on him on the way to work, we thought we put cyl 1 all the way up (screwdriver) but now i’m wondering if it was a hair off…the valve cover thing was the only thing we didn’t try.

call if u need help 1-800-680-2959!!!

Did You Take The Vacuum Advance Line Off And Plug It Up When You Timed It?

vacuum line was off, i talked to brian about it today and he thinks we’re timing the wrong marks.

might have jumped a tooth on the chain… or its in the balancer like TJ said.

I’ve got a 327ci in our white 69 camaro outside, and it will only run at 40-42 degree’s advanced… and it acts like its retard, so go figure.

well according to brian if it jumped on the chain the thing would be sputtering and acting all kinds of goofyness, it’s not it’s running smoother than before, we THINK we found the problem, the dampener might have spun