wtf help sbc related

im gettign sick of my fucking car seriously, its at the point ive caved half the door in from being mad, its a combo of timing and carb issues making it run like shit, it also keeps runnign really hot, idk brand new thermostat dosnt seem to open. the issue with timing is the timing mark on the balancer dosnt line up with the tab at tdc,

for reference its a 350 roller motor, roller lifters, cam, rockers,new timing chain,holly 650, performer intake, the heads are 882,s ported,polished, 5 angle valve job, decked, intake is port matched to heads,
i just need some fucking help im ready to burn the dam thing, and i dnt need more dents in the car from my anger/stupidity

thanks steve

so if someone wants to come take a looksy or offer suggestions(no dumb ignorant comments) please feel welcome

did u bleed the cooling system out sounds like you got a bubble in there. as far as timing the car does run? you canty line the marks up at all on the chain and crank and cam?

I had a car running very hot when the timing was advanced too much. I had turned the base of the distributer too much, The cat was glowing red.

you could try removing the thermostat, too see if it runs and cooler. maybe defective one.

m guna try a new thermostat tommorow, the timing marks on the timing gears are ligned up , i just have the wrong timing tab i think idk im just sick of dealing with it, it should be pretty quick once its running right i just need it there otherwise im guan sell it

yes, it left me with 2nd degree burns and 5 weeks out of work

something is real fucked up check those marks again

idk the timing mark on the balancer at tdc lined up with the center of the timing cover, idk if anyone wants to take a look lmk otherwise ill be trying what i can to get it running right

Huh??? First off there are different timing markers depending on which balancer you use. I dont understand the “center” thing. Most pointers are mounted to the right(looking at the motor) of the timing cover at about 40*
more info needed dude

I’m with pauly. First what are you trying to set your timing at? Your saying your mark is in the center of the timing cover? As in vertical, straight up and down? Or do you mean its in the center of the timing pointer?

i dont know much about this motor but it sounds like your 180* off … i know hondas you need to turn the motor 6 times to check if it lines up right once you did it…

It wouldnt run if it was 180 off, he said it just runs like garbage. Another easy thing to check is the firing order, its easy to get a plug wire mixed up.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

^ see im only used to hondas and you can get them to run 180 off they just run like crap…

the wire sounds like something … even it there is a break in a wire and its not even getting to the plug

you don’t know what you’re doing, take it to someone who does and get straight

sounds like you’re close to having a relatively happy car but you need a hand

more than what we can just type out and throw at you here

the timing issue i meant is, the tabs on the right like it should be but at tdc the balancers line, lines up with the center of the timing cover rather than where the tab is, so its at tdc before it should be according to the tab, im thinking mabe i have the wrong tab, its identical to the one that came off the motor tho, so idk

the wires are brand new accels and the fireign order is correct i just checked it

retime the thing … find TDC and go from there read the book and see whats up… dont v8’s have a timing mark thing that you need to bolt on?

FYI chevy also used 3 different balancers (not size timing marks) you say its a roller block?? as in its a facory roller cam motor? which means its the late balancer. If you were to put a balancer from say a late 60’s motor it would physically fit but the marks would be off. If you read the block casting number on the rear pad behind the right cylinder (looking at engine) you can go to Mortec.com and figure out approx what year the engine is. From what you are describing it sounds as though the chain was not properly lined up. Most after market chains give you 3 different marks to line up the chain at, it gets a little confusing

I have a funny question… Why on earth is this TECH question posted in the Classifieds: Misc Items Trader???

moved to tech

you have the wrong balancer. find the right one that goes with your block