smoke from the shift boot

I was driving home today and I noticed smoke coming from my shift boot. This is a tricky one seing how it was not, or not seen, smoking while the car idled. It was only when I was doing lets say 20km or more. The smoke seemed clear so I am hoping it’s just a gasket.

The engine has 270*** km’s with original tranny and no rebuild If I believe so that might have something to do with it. Any thoughts?

Maybe something got stuck on your exhaust and started to burn… does this happen regularly.

make sure theres oil in ur tanny or maybe even diff lol but it might be soeting that ogt caught on ur exhaust liek a plastic bag or someting

maybe your tranny just wants to blaze…

I noticed for the first time today so I don’t think it has happened before.

^ that would make sense to me…

I looked at a few fluid containers under the hood and it seems fine. The other thing is that the smoke was not heavy it was just light. I just hope its nothing serious :frowning:

Haha, smoking oil… nice and pure.

Anyways, mine has doine the same thing in the past. It was on the way to the Bell Canadian Open a couple years ago.

I pulled over and checked it and all that, everything was fine.

I never did figure it out though, sorry. That was probably 2.5 years ago and the tranny is fine still.

Well did it only happen once and stopped since then? My first guess was just burning some oil and I hope it stays at that.

something prolly snagged the cat and burnt

It happened randomly once in a blue moon, it hasn’t happened in the last year.

It smelled a bit like burning oil, so maybe a few drops leaked onto the exhaust or something, but it happened on the highway, so if it was burning on the exh. the wind would take it away out the back and not up into the cabin. I’m just thinking aloud here… not really sure what the deal was.

Check to see how wet the tailstock of your tranny is… try to follow leaks around… get under it with a trouble light and have a good look around for a while. I did that on the Kouki last night, it’s funny the things you just look at under there for a while heh… I almost started cleaning under there.

Just make sure your level is ok and you should be fine.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much if it stops, most probably somehting started to burn on your exhaust if you start to feel even a bit of change in drivability take it to a mech asap before it gets worse.

:shock: I didn’t know smoke CAN come outta there.

Well I hope it gets me to school tomorow and if its bad I can talk to my auto teacher about it. I hope its the WD40 I sprayed on just the day before when I did some minor exhaust work.

lol it most likely is

that’ll be what it was. where did you spray the wd40?

ive had smoke come out my shift boot too
i thought it was my exhaust but it was actually coming from my tranny, but it happened to me on a 21hour drive

i just fixed the tiewrap on the inner rubber boot below my shift boot and everything has been fine since (2 years ago) never happened again

was it burning oil or fluids or did it smell like burning metal? if it happens again take a good wiff

on any nut or bolt that showed rust :slight_smile:

I noticed it happen on the ride home again today. It smells just like some oil or something so should I really even worry about it at this point? It still just might be the WD40 or excess oil.