Suspect the clutch is going..help!

Alright…so my clutch has been letting out higher and higher over the past 3 months, and tonight I had some severe white smoke behind me under acceleration. I know white smoke can be headgasket, but I was more or less wondering if it could be linked to the tranny in some way?

Thanks in advance!

Drive at 45/55 mph, put it in 5th (maybe 4th) and go wide open throttle.

If it’s slipping heavy load should make it slip.

Best I got at the moment.

I’ll give that a shot in the morning, I wanted to try that one tonight but its too wet out and I’d get sideways :lol

R3vlimited is pointing me to random headgasket failure or smoking due purely to the weather, and its a 50/50 split either way it seems. The clutch needs to be replaced soon but apparently transmission fluid won’t smoke white which I thought it could, so that doesn’t seem to be as immediate now.

It’s quite unlikely that smoke is related to clutch or tranny.

Likely the weather/temperature.

Is it thick smoke or just a foot or two behind exhaust that quickly dissipates?

Singh has a similar problem recently and it was his radiator, while he was going nuts thinking it’s head gasket.

Can always do a compression test quickly.

its high moisture content in the exh just burning oout man . get the car hot and a good long trip it will be fine man . the temps are colder and a ton of water in the air so your just noticing it moreso now than ya did before

:rofl

Was this, car was great this morning once I got it up to speed. I drove it home at 30 the whole way last night so I could see the car not warming up right.

Also, did the clutch trick, clutch held fine and didn’t slip.

This thread makes me lol but listen to marrow. Also is it a cable or hydro clutch? May just need to be adjusted.

Apparently it can be just an e30 thing when it gets cold, I’ll probably do a compression test and a bunch of other shit to the car before I head to GA. Make sure its not gonna break down in my 1000 mile drive :lol

Hydraulic

E30’s can be fixed with duct tape, zip ties and sauerkraut. You’ll be fine.

Yup eat enough saurkraut and you’ve got a fuel source for any welding application.

Could just be the humidity :dunno

Probably needs oil… Fill it all the way to the top

my findings are this:
If it can’t be fixed with duct tape, JB weld, or bailing wire, it cant be fixed at all.

:rofl

Try to do a burnout. If you can then the clutch is good. If you break something else while attempting this, then that sucks. You would have to smoke the fuckkkk outta the clutch for it to smoke enough for you to see

True story

Before I finally realize that the firewall in the Z was flexing when pressing the clutch (Was originally automatic no mounting holes under the steering colum for support, did not know this at the time) I kept having to adjust it, was confused, then one day tried to do a burnout with singh next to me in hoffmans… clutch got pinched down a cunt hair from it being adjusted so far off, felt the car kick so thought the tires were spinning… After about a minute it started to smoke really bad and smell like burning assholes… needless to say not my finest moment and I felt like such a jackass

Got another 2-3kmi off that clutch before it started to slip though :rofl

Ok Kevin Murray, thanks for the help man.

A link on r3vlimited led me to the trans fluid issue happening and white smoke out the exhaust. I figured since the clutch is due soon it may have gone, car has never smoked that hard before. But then found another thread that said headgasket or moisture in the air. Glad it was nothin big!

Dude the transmission is not going to make the exhaust blow white smoke. It’s 20 degrees out its probably just moisture. When I exhale white “smoke” comes out of my mouth, but it doesn’t mean my back has a slipped disc.

lol good for a morning laugh +rep