smoky turbo when its warmed up.

Hey guys

I installed a jurnal barring turbo to my KA24de. I notice that when the car gets warmed up and is ideling it becomes very smoky. It really looks like an old 2 stroke engine. if you rev it up it will leave a massive cloud of smoke. This only happens when idling for a long time. If I was to drive the car the smoke will go away.

right now I have no restrictor with this journal baring turbo so it gets a full 80PSI oil pressure. I was told that ball barring turbos need a restricter of 1.3MM to drop the pressure down to 14psi but journal barring turbos require higher pressure to keep them floating on a layer of oil.

Is this normal for t28 journal barring turbo to run like a 2 stroke at idle? This turbo is out of an old parlsar btw.

might be done or almost done. We had another car where the turbo went, and it was spewing smoke on startup when it got warm.

The only thing is to replace or rebuild.

bad turbo bearing. time for rebuild.

I have a rebuild kit for the t28. I bought it, and then realized it was the non-rebuildable turbo that i had. LMK if you need it.

thanks guys.

I just wasn’t sure if it was a bad turbo or the KA24de runs higher oil pressure then an SR20. Ill run this bitch till she blows then go back to a ball barring. I miss my old ball barring its amazing on a KA.

I got the gtir t28 as well on my ka, it was running fine for over a year (no smoke or anything), but recently just began leaking so i sent it in for a rebuild. I’d like to think the seals are just going cause i didn’t have a restrictor either so it shouldn’t be flooding cause of that. Did you already check to see if oil pressure is okay? Any oil coming from the valve cover nipple or dipstick?