So what do you think about Pro Athlete wages?

Got into an long discussion on another forum about this and it boggles my mind what some people think.

Now, they obviously make way too much money. That isn’t a doubt in my mind. Especially fucking baseball players. However they often dedicate their entire life to achieve what they are able to and I feel as if they should be rewarded for it. Like any other business, high risk often leads to high payout. And the sports industry just so happens to pay out handsomly.

Also, the industry you choose to persue with any profession directly affects your salary as well. e.g. Someone working at a small company making $12/hr to do assembly work while a person with the same, or less qualifications can make $30+/hr at GM or Toyota doing a job that a fucking monkey can do. The automotive industry can obviously reward their employees far greater than most others.

The thing that drives me crazy on this other forum, is that a couple people are trying to say that mechanics deserve more money than pro athletes and seem to think that becoming a mechanic requires more thought and dedication. WOW.

Questions/Comments/Concerns/Noodz?

professional sports teams have extremely high revenues. Why shouldn’t the players get paid well? Rather see their pockets lined than the owner’s.

Meh, there are nicer…

nevermind…

I say they make too much money but I wouldn’t be bitching if someone payed me that much either…

Natural abilities > education

i would like if buffalo sports where really people the grew up in buffalo…

oh wrong topic

While it’s eroding as we speak, we still live in a capitalist society, no?

They are paid based on what they are worth, their market value. Is there some pro-athlete union artifically inflating their salaries or something?

Face it, Americans pay good money to be entertained. If you can entertain Americans better than anyone else you get to demand a huge effing salary.

if you look at the big picture in most sports other than baseball where everyone is rich only the top player make crazy money in the nfl most guys are only making 100 - 200k a year it of course increases based on years of service but they money is good but not crazy the problem is ppl only talk about arod 252 mil or clemens 20 mil for half a season instead of that guy on the practice squad who has to practice with the team watch film with the team but only get 1500 a week for 17 weeks

people who are the best at what they do can demand a premium. Somebody who is the best auto-parts assembler will probably get promoted to a better position just like somebody in a minor league who is better than all the others will go to the major leagues.

so it’s all the same in my mind really.

Simple: Market value.

:tup: to the resonses thus far. This is why I like this forum more than others.

For those who think they shouldn’t get paid so high:

Where else should the money go if it didn’t go into the player’s pockets?

ehhh you’re kind of missing the point on it.

American’s pay into the teams. The teams pay into the players. The more competitive the team the more they collect, the more top dollar players they can pay. If a player is deemed more valuable then another, he’ll prolly get paid as such.

Obv the fans paying into the team is the root of it, but we the people have no direct control, as it were. Even buying merch & the like.

you rarely have a player who is getting extra money for entertaining the masses directly (ie-TO, Deion, etc).

Cliffs: Player values are set by the owners, not the fans directly except in very rare cases.

They are paid what they are worth. That is determined by how much of a profit they can make.

Not for long :stuck_out_tongue:

No problem with high salaries as long as there is a salary cap so you don’t end up with big money dynasties who buy the championship year after year.

Potato, Potato. (prounounce it differently when you read it.) Entertaining sports = winning teams.

Good point.

then why did everyone know about the 1-15 dolphins, and the 0-6 bengals… :stuck_out_tongue:

Fine. Potato, ham.

They get what they deserve. I agree with Jay and as long as a salary cap is allowed to prevent one time from capitalizing on having a bigger bank account to buy wins every year, let players make their money and endorsements, etc.

Thats a good point about endorsements too…

There is another shining example of how the market determines how much the player is worth / makes. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc…