Sobo's 1989 Supra Build/Quest for knowledge

Hey all, I recently picked up a 1989 Toyota Supra. It’s a 3.0 7mgte I6 Turbo 5 speed, Hard top Supra. I bought the car, it is carfax certified a californian car. It has the body to prove it, there is not a single spec of rust on ANY location of the car.

I bought this car with intentions to do some serious work to it, but for now I’m getting it to the best possible running shape before I get down and dirty. This is my first build, so please if you have any insite please share it!

-Sobo

just wanted to wish you good luck with it! I know nothing about Supras but i cant wait to see a build thread!

Swap an LS1 in it.

put a 1JZ in it n call it a day

Pics up and I fixed a few problems.

Took the vacum hose off the BOV and reconnected it to the factory BPV.

I also Took the hard pipe off and re tightened the fittings and moved the cracked hose farther down the hard pipe eliminating the crack.

Nice lookin car.

Good luck with the project!

Thank you!

I’m going to need a lot of help, I have a lot of ambitions.

I will yell at you next time I see you at valet to get the car done :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha what valet? I don’t recall ever seeing you before.

lol whoops wrong person

Defiantly not. I’m a 17 year old that lives near Elma. I just got this car like… a week ago.

Haha sorry buddy. I’m that jackass kid with the 2002 WRX wagon that hit a deer.

get a 2jz and you can still use the r154

I don’t exactly like the transmission that’s in it right now… Could use replacing.

What does a 1jz swap involve? Motor tranny, wiring… ect. But how does it mate up with the drive line and what not?

well im saying, a 5spd r154 is like 700new compared to a 2jz 6speed tranny which is like 3k.

and i have no knowlegde of 1jz swaps sorry lol. look on google tho, you can find out about just about any swap

I looked it up. And ive decided to go the 1jz route :slight_smile:

Looks like we got us a 1jz swap here

:tup:

1JZ swaps are pretty straight forward in your car, and the motor set can be had for pretty cheap if u get one without vvti. the r154 tranny is pretty beefy, like someone said be u can put them on a 2JZ with no worries of breaking.

if your serious about this car n wanna go fast, ditch that shitty 7m as fast as u can

I have an R154 Trans laying around if you were interested.

if you end up needing a hand with the 1jz swap, the hardest part is the wiring harness. give me or gravesdu99 a heads up and we will give you a parts list and any help we can give. love the new motor and power. WAY better than the 7m

Theres nothing really hard about doing the swap. The most expensive single part was the wiring harness. It was more than the motor minus shipping. If you can take the 7m out and put it back in you can put in a 1jz with no problems. Its a great starter motor, and if you blow it (which I have heard about maybe 7 blowing up) you can get a 2jz-gte block and put under it (about 1.5in taller) or get a 2jz-ge block(sc300,is300) and I think just use a turbo headgasket. The downfall to the 1jz is weak turbos and lack of tq. A complete swap should be around 3-4k.