Solving brake fade without big brakes...

Was at the ATTS at the DDT and after 3-4 laps my brakes started to go and smoke coming from both front wheels! I have HP+ all around with stock S13 brake and DOT5 fluid! Besides going 5 lug with bigger brakes, will braided lines and slotted rotors help much? Anything forsale?

Thanks,

Trung

use Motul RBF 600…

and get better pads… hawke blues at a minimum, and if they fade…go to Ht-10’s (you wont fade those)

Hp+ are basically ok street pads…and crap for the track

Thanks Adam! Where can I get a set locally and fluid?

trung

+1.

You can get RBF 600 at Toyota Dealerships now…They carry Motul’s full line of engine oils, etc. (Toyota on Erin Mills)

You can get get it from Tires23, located in Mississauga.

HP+ are pretty good I’d say. But HT-10s would prolly be best but not too good for driving on the street.

I sure hope you didn’t put DOT 5 in a stock 240sx braking system. Time for new seals on everything from the calipers to the master…

Try a good flush with rbf 600… hopefully you haven’t ruined the brakes yet.

Trung, i can help you get the racing pads, lines and rotors that will for sure help a lot !

Personally, I would swap in my track pads for each event.

varun

Pur auto carries Motul, and have tons of rbf600 in stock.

If you want to get ambitious, you can always make brake ducts. On top of the previously mentioned items you should be prettty content with your braking.

Thanks for all the input guys…time to start shopping again!

Varun…can you PM pricing on those mentioned parts please?

trung

if you are driving a low powered 240sx sub 200hp…the ht-10’s will be overkill and you wont be able to get them up to temp easily…

try the hawke blues first

hmm, and hear i thought hp+ were ill, guess when theres wear out i’ll need those crazy ht-10’s.

I’m only at 228 at the wheels and weigh in at about 2600lbs. I was only 2.2 seconds off FTD against some pretty fast drivers and cars and that was my first time on that track and first time on a track with my car which was primarily built for Autoslalom. The brake fade really made me brake much ealier then needed!

I’ve ordered some Blues and new front calipers, braided lines and the RBF600…that should solve the problem I hope!

Thanks for the help again Adam! I’ll see you at a Solosprint event soon!

Trung

Ducting makes a huge difference too. Keep it cool.

in my opinion your pads are not the problem

theres no way you should be experiencing pad fade using HP+s on the DDT with that kind of hp and weight

look at, in order:

fluid (for christ sakes why would you use DOT5 fluid?? it’s NOT COMPATIBLE with your braking system. get RBF600. PUR has lots)

braided lines (eliminate the expansion of the stock rubber line, which adds pedal travel)

slotted rotors (edges of slot add more bite into the pad; recess helps vent gases to reduce temps and pad fade)

if after all that you are still getting fade, then follow ADAM’s advice and switch hp+ to blues

^ yup. I ran hp+, slotted rotors, stainless braided lines, rbf 600 at all my track events, and i rape the shit out of them all day. ALL DAY!

I sometimes bring my 911 to DDT and its my daily driver, I can fade out the Hp+ in about 4 laps…

the hawke blues will be a good choice…they are very hard to fade out in a 240sx unless you are high power …and really have to haul the car down from speed…only downside is brake dust from them…

the HT-10’s will not fade out…at least I have never been able to fade a set out…even with 450rwhp in my turbo 240sx…and 305hp in my ls1 240sx…

however… THEY MUST BE BROUGHT UP TO TEMP…they would be dangerous on the street…cause you would never have enough heat in them to work…

I would forget slotted rotors and just run brembo blanks…never had much luck with slotted or groved rotors…the standard blanks are great…