Some crazy food delicacies

Anyone ever try these? Shit looks nuts but good…

In Japanese cuisine, ikizukuri or ikezukuri (生き作り/活け造り?, “prepared alive”) is the preparation of sashimi from a living animal.
Ikizukuri usually begins with the customer selecting, from a tank in the restaurant, the animal (shrimp, octopus, lobster, assorted fish) they wish to eat. The chef, who is most of the time a sashimi chef takes the animal out of the tank and filets and guts it, but without killing the animal, which is served on a plate, sliced, with the heart still beating.
Ikizukuri of fish consists of thin, sheet-like slices or finger-sized pieces sometimes garnished with lemon wedges, a decoration of ginger, or nori (seaweed). Squid and small octopus are usually wrapped around a chopstick and eaten whole.
Ikizukuri is a controversial method of food preparation, both in Japan and in other countries.

from Ikizukuri - Wikipedia

i think that’s a little cruel, but shit, at least they don’t hide the cruelty in eating meat. who cares, cultural difference. i’m wondering - is it good?

Fugu (河豚, , フグ?) is the Japanese word for pufferfish and is also a Japanese dish prepared from the meat of pufferfish (normally species of Takifugu, Lagocephalus, or Sphoeroides) or porcupinefish of the genus Diodon. Because pufferfish is lethally poisonous if prepared incorrectly, fugu has become one of the most celebrated and notorious dishes in Japanese cuisine.

we’ve all heard of this. looks like it’s more about the thrill of eating it more then the taste. there’s a spot in NYC where you can pick up a sashimi piece for 13 each, guess he’s a legendary sushi chef trained in the same aspects as the rest of the japanese. i think i’d give this a run but i have a feeling i’d be let down. plus, i hear rumors all those fish are farmed with a controlled diet that eliminates their toxicity.

Odori Ebi (踊り海老 / 躍り海老, odori ebi /lit. “dancing shrimp”[B]?)[/B] is a delicacy of Sashimi. It is translated as living or dancing prawns. The sushi contains baby shrimps (Pandalus borealis) still alive and able to still move its legs and antenna while being eaten. The meal is prepared quickly to keep the prawn still alive, usually dunked into sake in order to intoxicate the shrimp. The person eating the prawn would usually dip the live shrimp into a special dipping sauce and quickly chew on the animal to kill it.

looks weird, but probably so fresh…

share some other crazy foodz, stories of eating foodz like this, etc.

I really don’t like watching anything suffer. “Japs” are screwy people.

eh, we are part of the animal kingdom, despite what we’d like to think

i feel you though, that one video is a carp which i don’t think i’d want to eat in any condition

the only “crazy” thing in can think of that is similar…was gnawing on a Yellowfish tuna that i just reeled in 5 minutes prior while deep sea fishing in Costa Rica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfYhdhEG_A&feature=player_embedded

Sannakji in Seoul! (eating live baby octopus)

i had a dry aged steak the other day for the first time. shit made me think of your DIY.

feels good mayne

was it good? how many days? what cut?

yea… i hate seeing things suffer

^pussy.

don’t you just hate the sound of fish screams? To be honest, you assume it suffering. There is not a single thing that the fish does to show suffering…not even flopping. Shit, i didn’t even see a tear.

As far as we know…fish may like open air much better then being in water, they just die as a result of a completely fulfilled life.

A new grocery store opened here and they had a freezer bin filled with all sorts of weird meats…I was tempted to buy the rattlesnake but I dunno how to cook it.

^just pan fry with some southwestern spices! Rattlesnake is good. I rember having it at this awesome diner in Utah.

Niice. Will do.

went to david burkes at foxwoods, 52-day dry aged sirloin, rare

and yes, it lives up to the hype. i’m going to try peter lugers next time i’ve got a bill to burn and someone that’s down to go with me that’ll actually appreciate it. i’m no food reviewer, but it was ON point. probably the best meal i’ve had in awhile, and easily the best steak.

have you ever been to lugers in brooklyn?

I have not. I rarely have an excuse to be in that area but if i do, i’ll have to make plans to check it out.

Lugers is good. easily top 3 in NYC.

You have to try Sparks on 46th, I have to say, have the best steak in NYC. I’m not a dry - aged junkie, but my dad’s a meat dealer and I’ve had my fair share of prime cuts of beef…

Del Frisco’s is great too. I’d have to say those 3 are the top three in NYC.

Bobby Vans is still good, but run of the mill with more tradition at the bar vs amazing steak. Smith and Wollinski, pretty good, considering it’s a chain. Sorta.

There’s a bunch of japanese steakhouses that do it up really well also. Lon is my fav, and some of the shit they serve their steak with is ugggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so good…

I love sushi/shasimi so I would be all over this.

In all honesty, it’s a fish guys…not some little puppy, you know?

i’ll have to check some of these places out howie thanks for the input

random question - is most salmon you buy on the market farmed fish, or caught in the wild?

farmed…

I’d like to eat a still beating heart at least once in my lifetime. I will honestly try any type of food ever.

MY COCK.

Eat it.

Anyone ever have lobster? Usually they throw them into boiling water still alive and you can hear them scream.

Survival of the fittest baby.