Sushi

Anyone into this? My girlfriend and her sister are REALLY into it. Technically, I don’t like it as I mostly eat cooked rolls (Maki I believe). I doubt I would like sushimi like them but I’d like to venture into more maki with raw fish. Curious what’s a beginning thing to try? Yellow Tail? I guess I could try the speciality rolls that have the spicy mayo and shit in it to cover it up until I get used to it.

Down here, we have A LOT of sushi so it should be good stuff.

i thought about trying it myself, a relative who pretty much eats the same stuff i do tried it and said its not bad. I just gotta grow a set and go for it

Allergic to any type of fish ::slight_smile:

That SUCKS!!!

Just got back from getting take out from Sushi Niji in Dobbs Ferry, NY (about 8 miles from me). Eating while watching the Yankee Game. Love my girlfriend. :slight_smile:

We spent $51 with tax for the following:

1 - California Roll (Good but simple)
1 - Shrimp w/ Avacado Roll (GOOD!)
1 - Chicken Tempura Roll (GREAT!)
1 - Spicy White Fish Roll (Not bad at all. It was really spicy. I know it’s raw so I am wierded out)

1 - Spider Maki (Soft shell crab tempura w/ avacado and some other shit wrapped in seaweed and then rice with topika) (Fantastic!)
1 - Volcano Roll (California roll w/ spicy tuna on top and spicy mayo) (I didn’t eat this but my gf said it was very spicy but really good)

To be honest, I have no problem eating this as a meal and being OK with it. I REALLY enjoy the rice.

very nice. i’m going to have to give it a shot.

Try the cooked rolls and taste one or two of the uncooked from someone that enjoys it so you don’t have to pay for it.

You could try Kobe Buffet on Route 9 in Latham that has an All You Can Eat Chinese Buffet with a fairly big sushi section including SUSHI and ROLLS. I tried white fish/tuni/salmon/yellowtail/etc… there before.

But, it’s not nearly as good as if you went to a real sushi place.

I love fishing too ::slight_smile:

Imagine catching a 23" walleye and having to throw him back because you can’t eat him without getting sick :eek

I wanted to like sushi, I really did. I have a lot of friends who love sushi, and I’ve given it a few shots. But when it comes down to it, I’d much rather have a steak or a rack of ribs than raw fish any day.

I think the one that really killed it for me was when I ordered octopus sushi, and joked “wouldn’t it be funny if it still had the suction cup things on it?” …aaaaand IT DID. And I ate it. Honest to God it was so chewy it took me almost 10 minutes to chew one mouthful of octopus. Blech. :tong

if you are a little sketchy about raw fish, but you want to try it then I’d suggest trying tuna first. After your confidence grows then go for other stuff.

Shawn - Every time I’m in the city I go to this small japanese place called “Yuka”. They have excellent food and sushi, but the real reason I go there is for the all you can eat sushi for $19!

Yuka Restaurant
1557 2nd Ave
New York, NY 10028-3902
Phone: (212) 772-9675

i would rather go fishing

AUCE and Sushi seem like a bad idea?

I’ll check it out. We are always looking for good places. :slight_smile:

ChowHound FTMFW

in theory maybe, I wouldn’t go to an all you can eat in this area. But in the city, it’s totally different. The quality is much better. One of the beauties about sushi is that it pretty damn easy to tell if it isn’t fresh. Color fades quick and the fishy smell starts to kick in. So it’s either good or it isn’t. I’ve been there 4 different times over the last 5 years and it’s been awesome every time. It’s all made to order, not a big buffet style layout. If you don’t like it then your out $20… ohhhhh, haha.

Yea. Allows you to try various types w/o paying much. Good call.

mmm I love sushi and japanese food in general. I won’t usually eat it unless it’s a "good’ japanese place though mostly bc I’m afraid to get sick. A friend of mine studies microbiology and says in terms of bacteria, raw fish is one of the worst things you can eat. But, I haven’t head of that many people getting sick from sushi.

I’ve never heard of anyone getting sick either. Hell, my stepmom still makes her own sushi on occasion and I’ve never heard her or my pops getting sick. She is russian, so she has a legit excuse for being crazy. No, I haven’t had her homemade sushi and I’m not sure if I want to either.

:+1 For sushi. I’m all about it.

If you’re down in the city getting Sushi, get your butt to a Chinese bakery afterwards and get a sweet topping bun for dessert. It’s got the consistency of a light fluffy roll, but has almost like a creme brulee sugary topping. Amazing. We used to have a bakery up here that sold them, but they went out of business. :sad

i didnt get into it. theres a Fusion Cafe near by here, but i dont go. My sister likes it tho and some of my friends do.

i tried sushi last night…it was awful lol
i personally thing that cooked seafood tastes soo much better and you get a much better flavor. my aunt is crazy into sushi which is very odd for arab ppl :shifty

Sushi is the fuckin bombbbb.

Isn’t maki the tuna roll?

If so pretty sure that’s not cooked.