Some Questions

Posting for a buddy of mine, I don’t know shit about most imports.

He has a 2001 Honda Accord 3.0L VTEC V6, Automatic.

He was wondering if there is a manual transmission available, and how much it would be to have it installed (if there is of course a 5 speed for the 3.0).

Another question - can the factory auto be upgraded? (Stall convertor, etc)

pretty sure theonly way to get stick shift inthose cars is 4cyl models only

Yeah, I brought up the same point to him, he was afraid of that.

Now the question is… Are there any shift kits and stall convertors out there for it?

Where’s ZEXaccord when you actually need him?

And as Jeff said, I do believe that year/model only came as a stick in the 4 banger. Only the newer models of accords have a manual V6 as an option.

There was definately NO manual tranny for the V-6 VTEC Accords. Honda decided that for the target market (35+ year olds), and the fact that the same year Prelude (sport coupe) and the Accord (psuedo sports coupe) share the same hp rating, having a manual option wouldn’t be feasible.

It would not be cost-effective to swap it out either, I’m not even positive the japanese market had a 5spd option for that particular motor…but in the world of Honda accidental parts compatability, it may be possible. Is it worth it? NO…sell it and buy something with a manual.

I think that’s what he may do. He’s not pumped on it today. Haha

He’s looking at an '04 Civic Si hatch. That will be better for him.

he could use the tranny from a cl type-s but for 4g’s he’d be better off w/ the civic

Yeah, he wanted to turbo the 3.0, too. There is just no room in the engine bay for that.

The Civic Si will be better for his mod bug.

its kinda hard to turbo it has manifolds built on to the heads and there is no room under the hood of one

and like some one else said the tl and cl type s tranny (still a j series motor) works but you might as well just swap in the whole motor while you are at it then

That isn’t such a bad idea. I can’t image the demand on one of those setups is anywhere near a b or k series. You could probably salvage one of those cheaply (relatively) and sell your auto V6 f series.

if i had a accord that would be what i would do its the same chasis for the most part so just find a totaled type s and swap over everything and you now have a fun car to drive

I’m keeping my eye on the car he wants while he’s on vacation. I think he’s going to try to get his hands on an '04 Civic Si hatch when he gets back.

So easy… no there isn’t a 5spd available, you have to get a 6spd out of a CL-s or TL…direct swap(very easy). There are several turbo options for the car. Tell him to hit me up on AIM or PM me for my number if he is really serious. There is a guy richie who does a conversion harness that I can line him up with. 6thgenaccord.com and v6p.net would both be good resources

BTW…a K series on the J30 platform is a bitch. Not jsut b/c of the motor position/mounts, but b/c ALL of the brake lines, and well everything, are on the opposite side of the bay.

I think we can forget about the Accord. He’s too pumped on the Civ. If it sells, I’ll pass this info on to him.

Thanks all