Tranny swap guys...

has anyone in here done a automatic to standard tranny swap into any cars???

currently, I have a A4 thats been shitting the bed for a year now…they currently just came out with a T56 adapter and tranny kit for our 3.8’s (the GM 6 spd tranny)…for $2600, I get a built 6 spd tranny to hold 700hp/700rwtq, adapter kit, bellhousing, shifter, hydrolic lines and a few other little things…

I realize a fully built auto/stalled tranny will be faster, but I would like to be one of the few V6 guys in the US to have the 6 spd and plus it would be a blast to drive…gear ratio’s are much longer also (awesome for boost)

not worth the money in my opinion, after you do a 6spd swap you’ll blow your 10 bolt then need to spend another 3grand on a rearend, def not worth it

I have done a auto to 5 speed conversion, but it was in a vehicle no where close to yours (early 90’s mazda 626, mx6, probe turbo). I had a parts car that was manual which basicly donated all the parts I would need for the swap. All in all, it wasn’t too bad, being that the car could have been either or from the factory all the holes where there. Just like swapping any tranny.

How much is a built auto vs. the swap kit?

If they are close in price, I would go for the stick!

built auto= less than a t56 alone

I did an auto to manual swap in my 300ZX…

Why not just try and find the stock 5 speed that came with the car? (Did it come as an option?)

Either way in your case its gonna cost some money for the tranny, I got my tranny, flywheel and my hydraulic lines and driveshaft for 250 bucks… overall when i did the swap i spent about 450 bucks
(new clutch, hydraulic lines, and othe misc crap that i had to replace )

My suggestion is to look to see if any other cars with that motor have the same transmission that will swap over. My friend dave did a 5 speed swap on his infiniti M30 and used the tranny from a 300ZX, they both use the same motor, the M30’s dident come with a 5 speed in the US

To get the tranny in and the car moving is pretty easy… not as intimadating as most people would think, the PITA part is wireing which i neglected to do, who cares about reverse lights and the neutral saftey switch.

yeah, in many cars in fact.

the one i did in my own personal car was a built 16v b3 passat. had the hydro clutch setup, and made a night and day difference. i wouldn’t even touch the car as auto. really shitty.

i don’t know if you plan on doing the swap yourself, but let me stress this:
buy the swap as a whole!!!

its way less stressful, cheaper, and quicker to just buy the complete swap, rather than try and source out all individual parts. of course you could get the transmission itself from somebody, or get one built to your specs beforehand, which IMO would be ideal for someone like you who’s putting down mega power.

its stuff like the brackets, pedals, reservoir, linkage, etc… can get really annoying trying to source out from all over. i did it like that with my passat, and honestly, i wouldn’t again unless i didn’t mind taking awhile, and was scrounging for deals. in the long run it just wasn’t worth the extra work. in the future i’ll be buying any swaps “complete.”

if you are gonna swap over i say GO FOR IT. AUTO FTL!!! ;D

its a lot of work to pull off and the t-56 isnt any stronger than a solid auto in stock form id stick auto but its your ride call if ya need a hand

I might not be worth it as far as money to acceleration goes but I understand why you ask and Im not going to just shoot down the idea. It is not a straight for ward process. You have to cut a hole for the clutch master cylinder, and the shifter. There is also some wiring you must do so your reverse lights will light and other things associated with the swap. as far as the pedals and hydraulics are concerned, they come with the kit. You may want to reset your idle as manual cars idle faster than autos… other than that. I dont think it will be too complicated. That sounds like alot of money but if the trans is built and the clutch can support the power than it is on par.
There is some good info here if you didnt already read it.
LS1tech.com auto-6speed/6speed-auto thread

When you say gears are longer do you mean than the auto or longer ratios than the common T56?
They may have made the gears longer because the 3800 has a longer effective power band than the all mighty LS1.

post a link to this kit please

Remember this is a built 6speed for up to 700hp. not just a used stocker.

If going fast in the 1/4 is your goal then go with a built auto. If you want to be different and drive something more unique than go with the 6 speed.

the stock 5 spd’s that came in our camaros are weak…3rd gear lets go at about 270whp. Even guys that have stage 5 built 5 spds for our cars, end up breaking them…and im pushing waaaaay over 270whp…1st time I boost, my tranny is gonna be on the ground behind me. This is why some of our turbo guys (we just had a member make 613whp on 18psi with a S74 turbo) worked together with Six speeds inc. To develop this tranny.

linky of pats T56 turbo 3.8 (613rwhp)

http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40220&highlight=six+speed

heres all the info. about the tranny kit…

Hi Guys,

We are so glad to finally get this wrapped up. What we will supply is the following:

T56 Transmission that will be capable of 700rwhp/700rwtq. It has a viper input shaft, 03 cobra modifications for the tailshaft and shifter area- $2200.00 for the transmission

Adapter Plated Machined and drilled to accept the T5 Bellhousing, T5 Clutch and T5 Hydraulics. $395.00

Of course shipping isn’t included but depending on how many orders we see I might be able to offer the V6 guys free shipping on conversions.

What you are going to have to get, modify and reuse:

Crossmember for LS1 T56. You will have to modify a stock one. We found one in a junk yard for $30 but happen to have this one lying around upstairs.

Driveshaft shortened with a 26 spline yoke for the T56. Like patrick said $150 from our local guy so you guys should expect to pay that.

Shifter… You will have to purchase a 03 Cobra shifter. From our experience the 03 Cobra will be the best option on shifting, location and feel. Patrick will be able to help you guys more on that when his comes in.

Bellhousing. You will have to supply yours. We are going to purchase one here for mockup but if you want us to mount it you will have to ship yours to us. Cost to ship is around $12 each way.

I hope you guys enjoy the pictures and I will try to get on this thread more often. This will be interesting to see how many are really interested in this conversion!

Thanks,
Amber
Six Speeds Inc.