Something major went wrong with my beater

Hey guys,

This isnt a question about my 240 its about my tercel.

So about a week ago Im getting on the 401 late at night and Im on the on ramp shifting into 4th and all of a sudden it feels like I hit a huge foam wall. I stopped faster than slamming the brake could have done. There was also a lot of grinding. In a panic I push in the clutch and roll to the shoulder safely.

Once on the shoulder the car sounded fine. I let out the clutch and all I heard was rattling, really loud too. I push the clutch back in and it sounds perfect. So I put it in gear and try to move, it starts like I was doing a neutral drop in an auto. So I stop, call a tow and drag her back home.

The next day I needed to move it because the ass in the tow cant park it straight and the neighbours cant get in their driveway(attached). I start it put it in gear and as I let out the clutch it stalls even with gas. I started it back up and put the shifter in neutral and release the clutch and it stalls while trying to move forward as if it was in gear but the selector was in neutral. It feels like its stuck in gear!

Any ideas what happened? This thing is fresh! Its only got 125K’s on it and Im trying to figure out if its worth spending the $$ into to keep it going.

Thanks guys for any help

Sounds like your transmissions imploded.

My reasoning

1. A bad clutch or worn synchros wouldn’t make your car lock it’s tires while in gear.
  2. When a car is in “neutral” the layshaft and it’s gears are still spinning, when the clutch is in they don’t.
    If the car dies while the clutch is engaged but in neutral it’s probably because either the layshaft or the bearings in hte gears on the driveshaft have siezed OR your gear box looks like the floor under a metal lathe and the teeth of the gears are destroyed…

and since I like illustrations… it probably looks like this! :

http://www.eds-motorsport.de/images/Horrorbilder/Gangrad.jpg

Lovely! Thos gears look more like mashed potatoes. I’m betting based on the noises I heard that it was all the teeth getting thrown around inside the tranny.

Right now there is a lot of resistance when it tries to move and I bet a few of the teeth of whatever gear it got stuck in look a lot like that picture. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Thanks for the opinions guy!