Sony Charging Extra for HDMI Cables

"In related console news, Sony have said that the first 500,000 PS3 systems shipped in North America will include “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby,” the Sony Pictures Entertainment comedy starring Will Ferrell.

This will come of some surprise to prospective PS3 owners considering that Sony have also announced that the console will not ship with a component cable, let alone any HDMI hook-up, meaning buyers wanting to view their PS3 in full-high-def glory must fork out even more cash for the privilege.

U.S. games will be released at previous-generation prices of $59.99 (expect that to translate to £49.99 in the UK, if Sony ever ships anything to Europe), but the bluetooth enabled controllers (with unremovable batteries) will sell for a sizeable $49.99, provoking more murmurs of discontent in the gaming community.

The PS3-branded HDMI cable will also retail at $49.99. Just for your information you can pick these up on ebay for less than 10 bucks. At least you get a nice Blue-ray film bundled-in with your $599 PS3…which you can’t actually watch at full resolution unless you spend more money on ‘optional’ accessories. Even Microsoft bothered to bundle a component output within the 360 premium pack. µ"

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35240

Nice move Sony…

The Component Cable is still a minority same as HDMI; the majority of TVs out there don’t have these inputs; the newer ones do, but the what is new Vs what the population has… it’s part of the marketing/pricing of the unit.

Sounds shotty at first, but also realize there is a business prespecive out there for it.

XBOX doesn’t come w/ HDMI cables either

PS3 will come standard w/ component cables just like the 360. and for $599 it’ll also come w/ a HD drive and 40GB more of storage.

xbox is coming out with a 100 gig drive for the 360. and that blu ray drive is useless, since nobody is buying bluray now anyways.

Err… isn’t this really old news?

read the above, no component cables either…

Are they going to give us composite cables instead then…I already have a component cable for my ps2 so I can just carry it over. I do no have a hd tv so it does not get much better then. Whats the stat on people who own hd tvs nowadays and play games… is it even at 50% yet?

compared to the amount of “conventional” tvs out there? no where close. my personal guess, maybe 10% if that.

yeah for an additional $100

and then you can spend another $100 for the HD-DVD drive to play 1080p games…and now you’re @ a ~$700 system

Yeah $49 for HDMI isn’t bad considering a HDMI cable @ CC costs $100

actually we are nearing 40% penetration of main tv’s in households

according to a google search about 25% of the population owns a HDTV with atleast 1 HD input, be it RGBHV, component, dvi or HDMI

ok google stands corrected ignore this post

Sorry Joe, you are going to spend more with all the same options for the PS3 vs the Xbox 360. Try again with your cost analysis.

and the HDMI at CC is prolly monster which is shitola anyways.

its funny that i was @ bestbuy in the mall where they were selling HDDVD and two different sales reps told me to go with blueray and they dont even sell it there lol.

No TV manufacturer supplies an HDMI cable with there TV, and the majority of Up-Conversion DVD Players don’t supply one either. Why would it be any different with the PS3?

I was there looking for a new reciever, and the guy trying to sell me one had no clue; I told him I needed HDMI switching, Componet Video Switching, and Composite to Component video conversion and switching… similar to the HK AVR745 and what they had that was comparable… he just looked at me like I was speaking russian…

My hitachi came with one as well as my pioneer DVD player came with composite, component and HDMI, not like I use what they are supplied with

Blu-ray and HDDVD players come with HDMI as it is needed for HDCP playing ability

if you went to BB or CC to find a Receiver with Upconverting and Switching ability you deserve any looks that they give you

ummm no it wont Base PS3 = 360 Premium + HD-DVD Add on ($150-200)

Base PS3 + $50 cable = $550

Prem 360 + 150-200 Player = $550-600

ooooo

So, how are they not priced the same when you include the cost of a comparable drive?

Both my Dell plasma and my JVC player came with them.

why in the world would u goto best buy or any super store to buy a HT reciever? Stick to dedicated HT stores, they tend to know alot more than the morons at best buy, plus they dont doctor up theyre TVs like the super stores do to make them look good.