speeding ticket from out of state

This last week my girlfriend and I went to Myrtle Beach for vacation. The whole trip went well except for on the way back. She was driving my car and got caught speeding. 75 in a 55 in Monroe, NC. She has a permit, so when she was got pulled over and the cop asked for license and reg. we handed both my license and her permit. Then the cop asked why I was giving him my license. I told him because she has a permit. He says “O is that a law in NY, a permit driver has to have a licensed driver in the car.”
anyways, he hands her the ticket and said that since she was going more than 16mph over then she has to come to court and just cant mail it in. he said it might be possible to have an attourny come in and represent her. And he said that if she doesnt do anything then her license in NY will be suspended.
so my questions are:
Do you think it would be possible to just mail it in?
if not, anyone know a cheap attorny that would be able to take care of it?
what do you think would be the cheaper way? going down there in person or getting an attorny?
Is it possible for NC to have NY suspend her permit/license

Cheaper to drive down sadly…now factor in money AND time costs and its probably cheaper…

I spent 5 years in NC with the army, i’ll tell ya this. NC law is that any speeding violation exceeding 15mph over a speed limit of 55mph or above is reckless driving, with automatic loss of license for 6 months and your insurance will skyrocket. Now 70 in a 55 is an example, and your 75 in a 55 is well above. I suggest getting a lawyer from the area down there, and pay him the 250 bucks to get this dropped. Mailing in that ticket will fuck her over for a long while. The lawyer can represent her on her behalf, unless the judge sees another reason for her to be present. And YES a NC suspension effects a NY license.

out of state tickets don’t affect your insurance, i am pretty sure of it. Nor does it add points to your license

with a new york license only tickets in canada and ipennsylvania will effect ur license mail in the ticket get the fin and pay it end of story

id just say screw it, its out of state, out of mind

^can’t just screw it, IMO

points won’t transfer, that’s for sure…

not really sure what to suggest for now…

Brilliant plan there.

Mail the ticket in with a guilty plea, see what shows up in the mail. If it’s just a fine, pay it and be happy. If not, you’ll need to take care of it. “Forgetting about it” will be a great way to end up in jail for a few days when it catches back up to you.

If you want an attorney, you’re going to need to find one in NC. Different bar, not to mention that it would cost a shit ton to have one go to NC for you.

Best bet is to mail it in, see what happens when it comes, if it’s a court date, call the clerk / DA and see if you can just enter a guilty plea and pay the fine. If not, go to court and enjoy. 20 over is excessive when you don’t even have your lisc. yet.

New York and Colorado will not enter out of state speeding tickets at all unless they are serious violations like reckless

BELIEVE ME, they will carry over, same for insurance points, but at a different scale, but its worse than you think, cause the license points transfer based on offense, not the actual number, so reckless driving in NC will score you the same insurance points that a NY violation will, and depending on how its worded, mabe worse. Remember that the insurance carriers are [rivate companies, they can do what they want, how else would getting a DUI raise my aircrafts insurance (just an example, not true), keep that in mind. But don’t listen to me, i’ve been in your very shoes, at a seat with a lawyer from NC, on the phone with my insurance carrier, and the NY dmv. Like the last ticket post, call the court house, or google the court house addy, get a lawyer located near by and give him a call, get this taken care of. To listen to the “just screw it” guys will land a person without a license, and reckless driving on thier shiny new permit, as if insurance wasn’t high enough.

i think i’ll start looking for a lawyer down there. Because the cop said that it couldnt be just mailed in as guilty because it was more than 16 over.
would this affect her permit the same as it would if she got a ticket in ny?

Yup

From the PRNY DMV Web Site:

If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?

The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario. Under special agreements, traffic convictions in Quebec or Ontario are recorded on NYS driver license records and carry points. Except for violations in Ontario and Quebec, points are not added to your NYS record for out-of-state violations.

If you do not respond to a ticket or fail to pay a fine for a moving violation that you committed in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin, the DMV suspends your NYS driver license until you respond to the ticket or pay the fine. If a driver from a state except these six states fails to respond to a traffic ticket issued in NYS, their driver license will be suspended until the driver responds to the traffic ticket in NYS.

thats points, not bench authorized suspension, and it doens’t apply to insurance points.

well technically her permit isnt valid in other states so u got very lucky

I think that cop was new or something, because he asked why I was giving my license with her permit.
she could get her license before her court date and they wouldnt know she had a permit at the time.
edit: i just checked the ny dmv site, it says that people with a permit are allowed to drive in other states, they just have to follow their laws for it.

About 4 years ago, I got a 90 in a 65 or 70 in maryland.

Me being the idiot teen I was just ignored the ticket.

A few weeks after i ignored the ticket, i got a nice letter from NYS DMV saying my license will be suspended on such and such a date, unless i call the state of maryland.

I called the number, a telemarketer chic asks for my ticket number and information, then says i can put the fine on a credit card and that will take care of my problem with the dmv.

It was like 125 bucks or something, but i never got any points on my license.

Bottom line is they just want their fucking money.

My dad got a speeding ticket in ohio like 15 years ago, and never responded to it, and never heard from it since. I guess that was before alot of the systems were linked.