Spray Can Paint Jobs.

So Cal what are you saying, I should’nt do mine then? What about all the paint we bought? :lol:

A few quick questions to the painting experts here.

I have a scrape mark on my rear bumper, slid a liiiiiittle to close to a pole and scuffed the paint, and I want to paint just that part.

So what’s the best way to do so without sanding the WHOLE dam thing? Can I sand the area smooth and then build it up with scratch filler primer, then paint and then clear coat? Also, what’s the best way to tape it off so that Im not getting paint anywhere else, do I tape right at the spot or leave some room so it looks even with the rest of the bumper?

I totally agree that there should be a “Sticky” on spray painting your car in the HOW TO section. Someone should do a write up and then other people can also add what they did and how it turned out. We could also post pic’s too. Sure a REAL paint job is the best but for those who can’t afford it right away can at least make there car look good again.

Well thanks for the help guys.[/quote]

Your situation is different Bruce, you are only painting your front end. John wants to paint the whole car.

Spray cans are meant for touch-ups not whole paint jobs.

But I guess as long as it turns out good in the end, I condone it.

You can make a rattle can paint job look good. You just need to do it properly.
Good prep work, wetsand between layers, clear coat, rubbing compound, wax.
Still wont turn out as nice as a professional job, and it can sometimes cost alot depending on how many coats you do. more coats = better, especially when you are wetsanding each layer.

:werd:
Im with him. Doing canadian tire paint jobs is a waste of time and money. Save your money and get a decent paint job or go to that place in Rexdale at kipling and 401 called fairdeal they will paint your car for $199.00 body work is more so do the body work your self and just take it there and have it painted for $199.00. They painted my friends car there and for $199.00 they actually do a good job, the only thing I recomend is to tape up the car your self because my friend had some unwanted overspray in some spots on his car.

does this ‘Fairdeal’ place do any sanding and prepping for the $199?

From the price, it dun look like it. Sounds more like material cost + use of their facilities. Might be a good idea if you do all the prep work yourself.

I am gonna go by and check it out at some point.

If the finish comes out half decent I think I’ll just go for that. I am going
to be doing all my own prep work anyways… so I just need a cheap
place to spray a decent finish.

^^^^^

It’s the place I was talking to you about man with what they called a “Stage 1” paint job.

They combine the base and clear together and spray it on.

honestly my suggestion dont do it it will look like shit after. . just pay the 200 $ or whatever and get it done properly honestly!!!

The $200 job isn’t exactly “proper”…

The materials alone for a “proper” paintjob would be more than that even
at wholesale prices.

For $199.00 they only spray the vehicle, They don’t do any body work and their tape job sucks so I really sugest to tape everything up your self when you get there. …Guys for $199.00 you can’t expect the world, if you want top quality you have to spend at least $1500.00 but for $199.00 they do a desent job. I have seen those $169.00 Maaco paint jobs and Maaco doesn’t even compaire to the job these guys do for $199.00

Andrew let me know if you are taking your car there, I live like 2 minutes up the street you can come to my house and we can tape up your car properly, I got all the tape etc.

Someone feel like posting a good tutorial on prep work? (or a link to one) I’d like to get my car painted for cheap :smiley:

Edit: Nvm that… I googled a few, and they all told me that I can’t do it properly. I’m just gonna save money and do it on a couple of years.

here is a post on flat black painting:
http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7641