Spraying on an electric carb setup.

Maybe someone a bit more familiar with older technology that should have never existed could help me on this one.

I’d imagine you would be able to run a plate below the carb, and fire a wet-shot, provide adequate fuel delivery. But the difficulty I’ve been having information on is in finding out if the ECU will start drastically change the tune and start backing off on fuel or cause any major headaches. Granted it will be a small 25-50 shot.

Or determining if it’s worth ditching the ECU controlled setup for a more basic carb for this purpose.

Wait, what application is this? How is the ECU monitoring the mixture? AFR?

If you’re spraying after the carb (the metering device), you shouldn’t have to worry about anything solong as you’re using a properly jetted wetshot.

…unless there is something checking the combustion output (such as O2 sensor).

Details man!

If this is on your newfound “eighty-six,” I would see what options are available for carbs before I considered that route. I don’t think that little squirt is gonna hurt anything.

For the Corolla. It does use an O2 sensor so I’m assuming via AFR. Works on a similar basis to a fuel injected setup however no one really plays with it much as it’s an outdated/uncommon setup so there are quite a few unknowns. There are one or two simple carb options available, but they don’t seem terribly desirable (Weber, or SU carb setup) except in terms of consistent tuning.

Granted it’s a small shot but keep in mind this is a small 1.6L engine we are talking about here that isn’t known for it’s ability to make power.

I’m horribly unfamiliar with Electronic carbs, I’m sorry. I know “enough” about carbs tho.

That being said, how is the ECU controlling the carb? And therefore correcting based on the O2 readings.

It uses a series of vacuum solenoids which control various aspects of the carb, and a few other aspects that I’m currently working on figuring out as it’s an entirely different beast from anything I’m familiar with. Mostly setup to keep the A-F ratio at economically friendly levels.

oohh, vaccum will be something different from ECU hacking. sheesh.

There has to be a workaround (bleeder valves, check balls, etc)… but I’m gonna step-out because I’ve never messed with that kind of setup - can’t theorize without looking at it; can’t create a work around without a theory (unless you’re willing to grenade it by trial & error).

Sorry.

Adapter plate and a mechanical 2bbl - cheaper and easier to find parts, easier to tune, no problem to hook up. Use the standard manifold with block-off plates. If you’re spraying, I would imagine keeping the tailpipe’s emissions minty fresh is the least of your concerns. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have the same stupid carb on mine too. Just get a 32/36 Weber and fuck the carb that’s on it. It’s not like we have sniffers around here.

Yeah it’s an interesting setup, but it also seems like if it could be controlled it would have potential. But I may just swap to something else, not sure if I want to go the weber route though.