Spring rates, dampening stiffness, etc...

Well, I am stripping my car, the rear half is stripped, the front, well I’ll work on it…

I plan to get a braille battery, relocate to the rear, a cage, a bunch of things in the long term.

I am actually curious as to how to chip off all the sound deadening as well…

What I am curious about is however, more important things, how are spring rates affected with the weight of the car, how is dampening affected with the weight change of the car.

I have kyb agx shocks and s-tech springs for now, until I can afford stance coilovers. I run it at 2/4, but I will run it at 3/6 again, but not everywhere… I have yet to try 4/8 and that’ll be on the track.

Since the rear is much lighter now, about a good 100lbs or so, how does that affect the choice of springs and the dampening settings? I want to know more about that. Should the dampening setting be higher? lower? Should the springs be stiffer, softer?

Please indulge me in this realm of knowledge that I don’t have yet :slight_smile:

dry ice

where can i get it and how much is it?

Try any theatrical supply store. Price varies.

It’s not the easiest stuff in the world to handle.

Too bad you waited until now. Throwing your car outside in -30º weather works well too.

Where did the 100lbs go? Sound deadening/undercoating will not add up to 100lbs.

You can’t just guess at spring rates. If you want to do it right, you’ll need to pay to have the car cornerweighted. But then again, you’d need to have a goal in mind once you get that data.

Are these 2/4, 3/6, 4/8 numbers kg/mm2?

As I understand it you ran 2 kg fronts, 3 kg rears, 3 (f) 6 ® and plan to run 4 (f) 8 ®?

First off, those are weaksauce numbers, and … well, backwards.

If you mean dampening settings … that varies damper to damper, and are arbitrary.

Or is this bound/rebound settings?

Is the car being built as a track car, or a track-looking car that spends 95% of its time on the street and 5% actually on the track?

that’s probably more than half of son, including myself.

I’d prefer a 70% street and 30% track car :lol:

In all seriousness though, I don’t want a track looking car, but a part-time track car, until i can afford a second family car then i will turn this into a full time track car…

I just got married and am hunting for new real jobs, but now that spring is at the corner, I still love to have a bit of fun in my car.

Any book recommendations in particular? I’d appreciate that.

The settings I mentioned were dampening levels on my agx shocks.

Actually I calculated the total weight that I have less than most 240s. 75KG to be precise if I include the lack of AC componets, lack of ABS components, removal of complete HICAS system, removal of all the interior from mid to back of the car, sound deadening, plastic covers, carpet, seats, etc… the grand total is 75KG. And I must tell you… I can DEFINETELY notice a big difference…

Yes it’s a bit noisier, but I completely do not mind it, rocks are more audible and so is tire noise, and exhaust, but then again I need to replace the exhaust soon enough, it’s leaking and louder than need be, but it’s no biggy at all. I love the car and hope to move on from here onto bigger things slowly step by step. I don’t care if I still have the KA, my goals are suspension, brakes and chassis first.

screw dry ice… big flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

you don’t need a cage if you spend most of your time on the street. Cages are for cars that get tracked heavily.

Andrew.

I agree with Andrew, let talk about the “more important” things, for example, why you feel a cage is necessary and also your generalized statement about coilovers and suspension settings.

In my opinion, your level of customization only requires a good butt tune. Set your springs/shocks to the level you feel comfortable. (Which you already have with your AGX’s) Same can apply for coilovers… just stating that you want “Stance” coilover’s isn’t enough. You didn’t mention what model, let alone the time-frame in which you’ll purchse said coilovers. GR Basic, GR +, GR +PRO, GR +THREE?

Planning for the future is fun, don’t get me wrong. But what you want to do is just a matter of getting it done. No need to ask silly questions where a bit of butt googling (don’t look at my butt though) couldn’t answer for you.

Oh and to qualify my post: