spring tune up time

wanna do a bit of a tune up to get my KA ready for the track event and everything and i need a little help. i want to get new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and clean my air filter and maf. im also gonna try that seafoam stuff. so heres my question, should i just get OE replacements or is there aftermarket stuff that will work a little better? i was thinking an NGK plug but i dont know what type, there are so many. i hear there is not much to gain with aftermarket wires so i was just gonna get replacements. as for fuel filter, is there any point to going to a 300zx fuel filter? i bought some intake/carb cleaner to clean my maf. i am also going to change my oil and since i plan to do some racing this year i was going to switch to synthetic since it will stand up to the abuse better. anything else i should or shouldnt do? thanks!

oe…all the way for those things…

oil…synthetic all the way…

IMO

Things I have planned sometimes in April:

• Oil flush with switch to synthetic + oil filter
  • Coolant flush
  • Switch to 91+ octane
  • Clean/re-oil air filter
  • Clean maf and intake pipe

Other things you might want to consider if you haven’t done so:

• Spark plugs. I have NGK G-Power. Don’t need to bother with the expensive Iridium stuff.
  • Fuel filter, PCV valve (total bitch on the KADE)
  • New brake pads if you don’t have Z32 brakes conversion planned
  • Transmission/differential fluid

If your going to be getting new stuff, you might as well get the best there is.

NGK plugs and wires- They’re not gonna make any real power but it’s not as if they cost an arm and a leg

Air filter- just get a K&N so you never have to buy another one.

I’m not sure on the 300zx fuel filter.

Where are you planning on getting that Seafoam stuff from? I’ve been looking for it locally but nobody seems to have it.

Gonad- Is 91 octane really necessary on a KADE?

I actually only run my car on 91 petro canada gas. Its says in the owners manual for that grade of fuel IIRC.
makes it run clean :smiley:

don’t spray carb cleaner on your MAF!?!? thats retarded.
If you wanna clean your maf, use alcohol. Put alcohol in a shot glass and the sensor part of the MAF in the top of the glass. Then shake it around.

Oil flush, I hope you just mean draining the oil. Don’t ever do an engine flush. Its one of the worst things you can do.

Sea Foam is no where to be found in Ontario or Toronto. Me and Wayne tryed. If you want to clean carb in your engine. I suggest taking it to a shop where they run a motor Vac on you engine. Cleans injectors, carbon on intake runner, piston heads, etc… Work good, I know many people that have done it. Ussually cost you about 100 bucks.

Everything else is a must. Spark plugs, wires, 02 sensor, filter, TB cleaning, etc.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Andrew.

I dunno if this is the correct process but for oil flush I was thinking of
draining my current oil (regular 5w30), putting in fresh regular oil, running
it for a bit and then draining that and then finally filling up with synthetic.

I did read somewhere about putting in a mixture of ATF and oil for engine
flush but I’m not gonna do any of that sort.

oh, by oil flush i thought u meant where they pump through cleaner to “clean” the inside of your engine, the problem is, that this removes alot of the stuff that stops oil from getting out of your engine, and into places where its not supposed to go. Unless the car is brand new, all engine flushes do is break apart the bits of goo that are holding ur engine together…

For the maf you can use throttle body cleaner, its much less abrasive, and is fine for your maf, but never spray carb cleaner in there.

And sea foam… ive never been able to find it either.

300zx fule filter is an almost no cost upgrade thats worth it IMO.

Oh, and the PCV valve… GOD DAMN that is a pain in the ass, i did it once… and ill never do it again! They couldnt have made it any more of a pain in the ass.

and on a side note, if your engine is in the high km, the synthetic is prolly gonna end up on the ground…

my mistake guys. what i have is throttle body cleaner not carb cleaner. so is that ok?

as for the seafoam, i already have it. if you guys want some too i suggest you work something out with racer240sx. he can probably grab you some from florida.