SR exhaust manifold stud?

my manifold stud on my car decided to break off and now i have an exhaust leak. going to fix it this weekend possibly. just wondering what the best way to go about getting it out would be (easy out, drill etc?). also would like to know if a 240sx mani stud is the same for an SR. thanks

Shit, that sucks…drill out helicoil in. Be REALLY careful. The last thing you want to do is buy a new head. What I’m hinting at is that you could drill too deep and hit a passage way for coolant, or oil.

yeah… if i were you i’d drill a bigger hole and tap a new thread, and use a bigger bolt (this will mean you’ll have to widen the hole in the exhaust mani too.)

Angle drill, center punch and an easy out set with corresponding drill sizes.

Unless you know the hole is fucked, I wouldn’t drill it out bigger. Buy some PB blaster from crappy tire and soak the shit out of the stud. Then you could even try raising the engine a bit on the one side to get a little more room to work.

Make sure you punch it dead nuts center to the bolt so you dont start drifting off to the side and drill into the threads. And there could be a water jacket behind the holes so watch out for that.
If you take your time you should be able to salvage that thread. Wouldn’t be a bad idea to run a tap through there just to clean up any rust or deposites from the hole.

Good luck!

I had an intake manifold stud snap off on my truck when I rebuilt the engine, I just welded a nut on it and spun it out. Could be different though for you being aluminum head and all, so I don’t know if I why try that actually.

i would do that but its broken off slightly inside the head. dont think that would work

Yeah probably not, I was lucky and had about 1/8th of an inch sticking out still.