Time for new engine?

So lately i’ve been hearing this loud ass exhaust leak coming from my ka24e. After a quick check, it was coming from my exhaust manifold. Who ever had the car before me only have bolts and studs on one side of the manifold. The other side was missing all the hardware. Now if that wasn’t bad enough, i went to nissan to order some of the missing hardware only to find out that the studs and bolts are snap off and half of it is still stuck on the block. Now my question is how the hell do i take them out? I’ve check the fsm and it doesn’t give me any info. I’ve heard from one of the mechanics that the studs comes from inside of the block which doesn’t make any sense to me. Maybe i’m wrong but if that’s the case than it’s going to cost an arm and leg to take them out. If the mechanic is wrong than can i use a helicoil to repair it? Pls shed some light on what i should do. The below pic is from a dohc. The difference is the sohc have bolts on the top and studs on the bottom.

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/8126/untitledwv5.png

shit wrong section… mods would you move this to tech

Will, the only thing I can think of is to drill the remaining studs out and retap the holes then get appropriate hardware, I highly doubt you’ll be able to get the rest of the studs from the block.

dude, all u gotta do is go to canadian tire and get the easy out kit, it works great

Ya. I would suggest buying the “grab it” kit.

http://canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=1408474396672926&bmUID=1177132276704&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524443290988&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

It’s on sale this weekend too (like every week end… but still)

Even that might not work. Remove your manifold, and weld a nut to the end of the stud, remove with a ratchet.

if you’re a n00b or useless with your hands call someone who does it for a living… like barry’s extraction service… 905-706-6075

I used the guys myself a couple times, they are quite familiar with nissans since it is fairly common, like say water in a bathtub

i am a noob when it comes down to stripping bolts and stuff like that… i don’t how many times this has happen to me. The place you’re talking about, are they a mechanic shop? i guess i can give them a call on monday. thanks!

if only it was that easy… the remaing studs and bolts are flushed with the block

If they’re not countersunk, and you have a good welder and a good mig machine, it’s still pleanty doable. I had to do it for 2 of the bolts that sheared off that were holding my fender on.

yeah i had to do that a while ago with my mig it was a bitch but it worked.

welded fenders ftw

no that’s what makes them special, they come to you

hahahaha

how those holding up anywho?

i think we should fix them the next time u come up… i still have the welder bahaha

the fender above the wheel well came off…lol, the one in the door is still strong.

lmao thats on the to do-list then fix those bastards.

If they’re not countersunk, and you have a good welder and a good mig machine, it’s still pleanty doable. I had to do it for 2 of the bolts that sheared off that were holding my fender on.

yeah i had to do that a while ago with my mig it was a bitch but it worked.

welded fenders ftw

no that’s what makes them special, they come to you