SR20DET/5speed swap

To start off I have a Black 97 Kouki which is unfortunately automatic. Since last summer I’ve been planning to do a SR20DET/5speed swap. Now I don’t mind waiting a little longer, the only problem is I will be moving at the end of the summer, best case scenario Trenton worst would be somewhere on the east coast. I’m worried that if I do not complete this swap before I have my car shipped to wherever I move too, I will have one hell of a hard time finding a place that solely deals with imports to do my swap.

Then my next problem, many of you can relate (money). A family member owes me $ 5,000, now if I wait to do the swap when I receive my money I’m pretty sure I will no longer be in the Toronto area, I am getting the money that is for sure I just don’t have a specific date. So I was thinking about getting a loan from the bank. Now your thinking he’s crazy, he’s going to take out a loan so he can put in a turbo, it’s not like that as soon as I get my money I will pay off the loan so technically I’m just taking an advance for a couple of months.

Anyways, I’m not sure exactly how much of a loan to take so I can complete my project. What I’m going to do is put together one thing I want and several things I believe I need for this swap and it would be nice for several people to input, not just necessarily people that have gone thru what I am, but it would be nice, but anyone who is educated in mechanics and can give me some real numbers.

I would really like this to get detailed. I want to know how much everything will cost, from the Engine ($1,900) to the oil that will be put in the engine. It’s nice to talk about getting a swap done but I’m pretty sure once the numbers are laid out on the table many people can become discouraged. I’m tired of waiting and I am extremely eager to start drifting seeing as I have been reading as much as I can about the topic for more then a year. I also hope this thread serves some good besides for my self but for people who also want to do what I want to do but haven’t got the slightest idea where to start, anyways here it goes.

-This is what I want:

SR20 S14 DET DOHC Engine RWD Transmission Turbo Nissan 240SX 94+

This is what I believe I need/Also wondering if I can substitute s13 parts for any of these.

Shifter
Release Bearing
Pressure plate
Clutch
Flywheel from a m/t
M/T Mounting plate
Flywheel Bolts (m/t bolts are longer than a/t bolts)
Clutch pedal
Brake pedal (From M/T car)
Clutch master cylinder w/ resevoir
Clutch slave cylinder
Clutch hydraulic lines (Main line, bleeder line, rubber line to slave cylinder)
Drive shaft front & rear section
Adapter bolts & nuts for mounting crossmember to the 5 speed (2)
Reverse light sensor, Neutral position sensor, 5th gear sensor (on side of 5 speed)
Lower shift boot & plate
Upper Shift boot & Finisher plate.

whats your email?

and im not to sure but like 70% sure yes u can. such as the clutch slave cylinder clutch master cylinter.

everything but the finishing plate is swapable… they never made any big changes to DSM models except the look of the body…

and remember… just because you got a S14 dosent mean you have to put a s14 engine in… ive seen alot of people drop in s13 motors cause lets face it VVT can be a bitch and well… s13s are cheaper and so are there parts

Thanks’ for all the positive feedback. Cryptic Nissan I like what you said because it’s been on my mind for awhile. Correct me if I’m wrong but s14 SR has 15 more hp now there’s a 300 price difference so 15 hp for 300 bucks doesn’t sound bad considering other stuff like intake and exhaust will cost maybe more or less the same and give me less hp. But then again I could be horrible wrong, seeing is I am very new to this howl hp concept. I’m just looking to get the most hp without to many extreme mods.
$1900 S14 sr20det 220 hp/
$1600 S13 sr20det 205 hp/

If you have any plans for the SR like cams and bigger turbo I would definitly go with the S13 black top… Since Most cams dont work with the VVT you will most likely loose the VVT anyways.

as for the turbo T28s are easy to come by. Or even go with a nice top mount and a t3 turbo… and be done with it…

From the sounds of things here is my suggestion & why. And before I post anything else I would just like to let you know that I am well versed in SR swaps and currently own an S13 with an S14 SR swap aswell as an S13 with with a redtop aswell as having done several other SR/RB swaps.

From the sounds of things you shouldn’t really be looking for an engine set, but should be looking for a half-cut. It will have everything you need for your swap with exception of the proper shift bezel (as it will be oriented for RHD).

In the long term spending the extra on the half-cut would save you money aswell as aggrivation. Also you would get nice bonus parts like the Silvia climate control, guages and cluster.

If cost is an issue regarding the S14 front clip, the S13 front clips have dropped quite a bit in price and also offer quite a bit more then an engine set, however you lose goodies like the S14 guages, cluster & climate control. But in terms of the swap parts, they are all the same from S13-S14 versions.

PM me if you need more detail or insight into the swap.

I agree with flashpoint, to get a half cut would be the best option. the only problem i can see with going that way is that you will have stock hp. if you buy a motorset and buy the upgrades you need as you go, you will have more hp but will find yourself very frustrated. since you said your moving ,a half cut would be best because everything you need to get your motor running is right there. if you have to buy separate parts that you need you may find yourself confused. if you buy a motorset you need to hack up some piping from the rad, find an intercooler with hardware etc, downpipe, most people would suggest motor mounts. and with a motorset or half cut you need to cut up the wiring harnesses and extend certain clips etc. And as for redtop/blacktop? I personally have a red top , unless you want the t-28 turbo from the black top i would go with red top. its cheaper and gives you all the hp you need to drift. you could drift with a ka and an lsd lol but everyone loves the sound of the turbo haha. main suggestion i have, make sure that you have the motor compression tested and check spark plugs and dipstick and make sure theres no coolant in it etc. if anyone wants to correct me on anything by all means correct me. im always open to new ideas.