sr20det high CO% issue!

K so i know emissions test is a topic that has been discussed lots before.

Here’s my deal, my stock sr20det in my s13 coupe is not passing etest. I have a stock exhaust and stock cat on the car, I have tried rubbing alcohol I have tried leaning it out a little. I have replaced spark plugs, cleaned the maf sensor and I will be changing the o2 sensor and fuel filter. Those anyone happen to know a common cause of high CO% on a sr20det or any idea what the issue is? Car still has EGR and everything. Fully stock s13 sr20det. I also have Hotrod status.

Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32716[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32717[/ATTACH]

Here is my etest from last year. I passed with much lower limits than you. This SR was also equipped with cams, larger injectors, T28, no egr, full 3 inch exhaust etc etc. The key to passing the etest for 1997 and lower for us is making sure you have a new cat or relatively new combined with a tune that doesn’t run rich on idle or ~2500 no load rpm.

Wow, quite surprising results even on hotrod…

I passed on hotrod with a 3" magnaflow highflow cat, make sure you run the car on the highway and do some boosting to warm up the cat good.

Looks like it may be running rich(not burning fuel efficiently) from the tailpipe out to get the high CO%…

so replacing the injectors and getting it tuned would most likely fix my problem?

check for vacuum leaks, or any leaking piping/gaskets after the maf. your car may be thinking it’s receiving more air than it actually is which is resulting in you running rich. You should be able to pass without an issue with a stock sr20 even without hot rod status.

I would not spend the money on a tune if I were you. I also would think your injectors are fine. Just do a boost leak check and verify nothing is leaking before sending money/replacing parts.

get a new cat, weld vband flanges and swap it out for a test pipe after passing.

This is mine from last month, 850cc injectors, GT3076R, 3" turbo back with a “high flow” cat :snky: and a bunch of other mods

6L of methyl hydride in a full tank of 94 does wonders, just make sure you burn it quickly or else you’ll find yourself with a fucked up fuel system :wink:

High CO usually means bad cat or cold cat, if you also saw high NOx I would say you’re running lean/hot…

Thanks I appreciate the help guys. And i doubt its the cat im pretty sure its something else like vac leaks or something and good point steve, I will check for vac leaks before I send it off for a tune!

hot rod limits ehh… maybe I should try getting it since it looks very forgiving lol. Does anyone know if the limits for the regular etest went higher?

wow, my sr20det also easily passed at half the regular test limits. surprised at OP’s test.

In my case, engine got new apexi and arp. Cleaned up the head and pistons when I was in there. New turbo, all new exhaust. At test time, running stock intake, injectors and ecu before upgrades. Magnaflow straight thru cat and straight thru muffler. No egr. No canister. no oil catch can.

You should totally do it! It took about half an hour to take all the necessary pictures and do a short write-up of the engine and car in general (stating how it came with a K24E/DE only in north america, etc. with links as proof). I got a reply in 4 days, even though they stated it would take 7 business days.

You won’t have to worry about failing for sure if I can pass the way I did, assuming your engine’s running properly, AND it stays with the VIN of the car permanently.

I am in the process of doing the sr swap in my son’s 240sx and read your post, Is it possible to give me a example of your right up and links. Is a link like Wikipedia work for proof? They do give a history of the 240 on there.
My son’s car is not due for 2 years as he just passed it in Mai but I’m gathering all the info I can for when the time comes.

Thanks

Dan

i just went to the canadian tire at major mack and 404 and the guy doing the test knew 240’s and tested it as a hot rod…

Is you 240 re classified as a hot rod?

this was about 6 years ago…but i never got any paperwork saying it was a hot rod…i just had a guy doing the test that wasnt a door knob and a nice guy…they may have changed the rules regarding it by now though

I’m sorta new to this turbo stuff but I’m a quick learner… Is it possible the waste gate is stuck open or not closing properly thus introducing
more air in the intake which would make the maf see more air flow…
I do a lot of reading so I’m just putting this out, please don’t flame me, just give me an opinion

Thanks

Dan

• Updated - - -

Something to look at maybe

As far as the pictures are concerned, the only extra pictures I sent them that weren’t explicitly required by them was one of the engine code stamped on the block, and one of the plaque on the firewall stating that the car came with a KA24E. The rest of the pictures I sent were of what they specifically asked for in the document.

This is the exact email I sent them:

I have compiled the attached photos addressing the required supporting documentation for the Hot Rod emissions application. Unfortunately it wouldn’t allow me to send all the files in one email, so I have split the attachments into multiple emails.

Just for reference, the engine that has been installed into the vehicle is only available from Nissan vehicles that originated from either Europe or Japan. My particular engine is from the latter. It is a Japanese early-model SR20DET engine (I have attached a picture of the engine code stamp on the engine block to prove this) from a 1990-93 Nissan 180SX/Silvia. I’m not sure which exact model it came from since I got the engine in pieces and assembled it myself, however both models use the exact same engine regardless. It’s a 2-litre inline-4 cylinder turbocharged and intercooled dual overhead cam engine.

As you can see from the engine-bay plaque that I have pictured in one of the attachments, the original engine that came with my vehicle is a KA24E, which is a 2.4-litre inline-4 cylinder non-turbocharged single overhead cam engine. This was the only engine available from Nissan North America for the 1989-1990 240SX (a quick Google search will verify this from multiple sources).

Please feel free to contact me either by phone or email if you require any more information or pictures.

Sincerely,
Dan********

Hey Dan Thanks

Is that what you wrote to them… I didn’t get any pics though

Dan