sr20det or ka24de

so here is a crazy idea has ne one ever heard of nebody sawping a vg30dett in to a 240sx, the thought crossed my mind but like i never heard of it so i figured it was impractical

it indeed is impractical

u can make plenty of power out of other motors that will fit in much better

i got it now the vg is a v-6 which is much wider than a straight which is why it wouldn’t fit, and yes i know i just andswered my own question

its been done…the guys running a single turbo set up with injectors and a safc and trapping close to 125 in the 1/4 in a s13 chassis…

vh45dett > vg30dett

Yes, I’ve seen one thats been put into an S13
and this is also the hotness

Teaser
http://www.zparts.com/showcase/engines/images/q45zpower_01rw.jpg

Sorry about going off topic I couldn’t help myself but anyway in regards to SR vs. KA, If it were me I’d just stick with the KA.

sr20det = 210 hp , ca18det 175 hp(but revs much more freely) kade 150 , ka-t wit same size turbo as stock SR around 220…high compression , remember , SR20de’s and DET’s came stock in our s13’s and s14’s in japan…they gave us all the N/A stuff and kept the boost all to themselves…personally i like the CA , but hell…do whatcha want…its yur money

heres a link for the VG being put in an s13

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/187589

join that forum while yur at it :wink:

s13 sr’s are 205 stock with a t25 turbo there was a s13 “black top” and a s13 “red top” called this by the color of there valve colors. no major changes just the blacktop came out of the years when the u.s s13’s went to the ka24de (dohc)
s14 sr’s are 220 stock with a t28 bb turbo theese also had variable valve timing
s15 motors are junk dont even worry about them. very expensive, very very weak trannys, harder to find parts for, and the wiring is a complete nightmare.
sr’s forged bottom end is good for roughly 400hp on stock internals
7lbs boost stock on all 3

kade’s are a great motor. torque monsters!!! imo more expensive to do it “right” tuned ecu, turbo set-up, either smic or fmic intercooler set up

so all in all the question has been argued millions of times. i have way way more info and i know tons about each motor. im in the middle of a s14 project. im putting a s14 sr in it.

yur my friend, are an idiot! the s14 blacktops are the ones that had problems and are bad , the s13 red top is rock solid and aswell as the brand new s15 SR’s they are the best yet , obviously , brand new , no bugs to work out…and good luck with yur s14 swap by the way…

can you post your source about the differences between the black top and the red top? i’ve done a lot of reading on the SR’s vs. the KA’s and i have found NOTHING to indicate any noteworthy difference.

ok yea, def wrong in a few places, s13 blacktops were in the 180sx’s that were made up until like 1997 ot 98 n japan

not all s14 sr’s came with BB turbos or vvt

the s15 sr is not junk, yes the tranny is weaker but u came bolt a 5spd tranny right onto it, s15 did all come with bb t28, so how are the junk?

and as far as a ka-t, figure your going to spend 2500 ok a stock sr swap, could can definaly piece together a turbo kit and buy internals for a ka fro that price, which will make more power

and sr bottom end have been proven to hold more the 400hp stock

do more research before you spread false info…

i still want to know what makes a red top>black top. i’ve been looking all night and can find no justification for that claim at all.

red tops are newer and from the factory (stock) came with more horsepower (not much more). As to what made them more “powerful” I have no Idea. I researched this while I was planning on a sr20det swap for my s12. S13 black< red Dunno why, just is.

originalsin. nope your wrong. let me start from the beginning in 1989 to 1991 the us 240’s came with the ka24e sohc, in japan called the 180sx came with the sr20det nicknamed the “redtop”. from late 91 to 94 is was still called the 240sx in us but it came with the ka24de dohc. d standing for dohc. still the 180sx in japan came with a sr20det. esencially the same but came with a black valve cover nicknamed the “black top” in 1995 they started the new chassie the s14. this also came with a “blacktop” motor. the only real changes from this from the s13 blacktop is it came with vvt (variable valve timing) it came with a t28 bb turbo (the s13’s coming with a t25) it also uses a “low port” intake design when the s13 came with a “high port” intake design . the s13’s were rated at 205hp stock and the s14 came rated at 220hp stock.
it also used a different ecu and wiring harness then the s13’s. now the s15’s also named the “black top” uses a t28 with a Inco turbine wheel. with a Cast divider wall between turbine discharge and wastegate. i have heard nothing very good about the s15 motors, this is why no one really uses them. like is said weak tranny’s, the parts are hard to find, and the wiring is a mess. plus the price is way higher then the other motors. ok and yes all s14 motors came with vvt and a bb turbo. no false info sorry man i said approxamitly 400hp. and i think that you could probally build a ka-t for about the same price. possibly. but if you wanna do it right like i said most likely not. im talking bigger injectors, retuned ecu, different MAF, ect. and your still going to have a truck motor at the end of it all.

again, why? show me documentation to prove this. EVERY SR20 write up i’ve read (countless articles) has said there is no noteworthy difference. can you please find me some documentation to support your claim? otherwise, i’m assuming you are spewing bullshit about something you have no idea what you are talking about.

theres a whooooooooole lotta misinformation in this thread…holy crap. a red top is definitly NOT newer than a blacktop… as originalsin said the s13 blacktop came in the 180sx up until the late 90’s, the redtop stopped being produced in silvia’s when the s14 came out in the mid 90’s. of all the sr20det’s, the redtop is infact the oldest (not that there is anything wrong with a redtop, so i don’t know why this was even brought up in the first place? once you swap out turbo’s every other difference pretty much becomes a wash )

heres all you need to know guys (taken from 240sxmotoring to be exact)

"

In the USA the 240SX came as the following:

• S13 chassis - 1989-1994 There was a coupe and a hatchback version. There was also a limited edition convertable version. When going for the S13, most people go for the 89-93 because the 94 was available strictly as a convertable with an auto tranny. From 1989-1990 the coupe and the fastback both came with the KA24E. That’s a single cam motor that puts out 140 HP and 160 lb-ft of torque. From 1991 and up it came with the KA24DE, a dual cam motor that puts out 155 HP and 160 lb-ft of torque. The S13 was also available with HICAS which is a 4 wheel steering system. Some people like it a lot and some hate it. If you plan on drifting, you don’t want HICAS.

• S14 chassis - 1995-1998 Here it was available only as a coupe but got a different body styling. There are 2 different S14’s though. From 1995-1996 the S14 came with oval headlights. From 1997-1998 the headlights were changed to a slanted, or “shark eye” style. That was the only difference between the 2 S14’s. The S14 came with the KA24DE.

In Japan it came as 2 different models, the 180SX and the Silvia.

• S13 chassis - 1989-1998 The 180SX is the japanese version of our 240SX fastback. They are the same except for the motor that was in it. From 1989-1990 The 180SX came with the CA18DET. From 91+ the 180SX got the ever so popular SR20DET. From 1991 to 1995 I believe the SR20DET was the “redtop” and is signified by it’s red valve cover. In 94 the 180sx got the S13 Blacktop. This motor was the exact same as the S13 SR20DET Redtop except the blacktop was just newer. Remember, this is the S13 blacktop. The S14 blacktop is totally different. In 96-98 the 180SX got new taillights. The silvia was also made on the S13 chassis in japan but only until 93. The S13 silvia is identical to our S13 240SX coupe except it had a different motor and different headlights. The Silvia came in 3 models in the S13 chassis. The Jack, Queen, and King. From 89-91 the Jack and Queen both got the CA18DE. From 91-93 the Jack and Queen both got the SR20DE. From 89-91 the King got the CA18DET. From 91-93 the King got the SR20DET. The SR that came in the S13 silvia’s were the redtop SR’s. This SR20DET had a T25 turbo

• S14 chassis - 1994-1998 On the S14 chassis, only the silvia was made. There was no 180SX made on the S14 chassis. The S14 Silvia is identical to our S14 240SX except for the motor. The S14 Silvia is like the Jack, Queen and King on the S13 chassis. The Jack and Queen both got the SR20DE while the King got the SR20DET. This SR20DET had a T28 ball bearing turbo. VVT was introduced to the SR20DET on the S14 chassis.

• S15 chassis - 1999- We didn’t get the S15 chassis in the USA. The S15 got the newest version of the SR20DET. It also has the T28 ball bearing turbo like the S14. The S15 SR20DET got bigger fuel injectors that were 480 cc/min stepped up from the 370 cc/min injectors of the S13 and S14. The S15 also got a 6 speed transmission, but is said to be weak with drifters due to the thinner gears and break around 350-400 HP. I haven’t really seen this proved because the Blitz S15 has about 450 HP and is still using the stock S15 tranny. VVT was used once again."

[QUOTE=sbanzer123]1989 to 1991 the us 240’s came with the ka24e sohc, in japan called the 180sx came with the sr20det nicknamed the “redtop”. from late 91 to 94 is was still called the 240sx in us but it came with the ka24de dohc. d standing for dohc. still the 180sx in japan came with a sr20det. esencially the same but came with a black valve cover nicknamed the “black top”

ive never heard of the jack queen king deal. so thats new to me. but i didnt find really any misinformation in my post. i read yours and came back and read mine and it was pretty much all right. one thing is i did forget about the ca18. theese are good motors. there like a 4 cylinder RB. i havent really looked into it but i think that parts are relativly hard to find for theese. i wrote all of that from memory lol i just forgot the little ca

no, you actually have a clue as to what your talking about haha wasn’t directed towards ya

blacktops are newer. and there were really no differences, there was no power change. here specs right from heavy throttle. probabally the largest inporter of JDM nissan motors in the northeast.

redtop
Specifications
[left]180SX 91-93 and Silvia 91-93 [/left]

Displacement: 1998cc (2.0 liter)

Cam type: DOHC 16 valve, chain driven cam sprockets

Bore and stroke: 86mm x 86mm

Compression: 8.5 : 1

Horsepower: 205ps at 6000rpm Torque: 203 ft/lbs at 4000rpm

Stock boost: 7 psi

Throttle body bore: 60mm

Turbo specs: Injector size: 370cc/min

Co mpressor: T-25, 60 trim 56mm BCI-1 compressor.

Turbine: T-25, 62 trim 53.8mm 0.64 A/R turbine housing.

Center Section: Journal bearings

blacktop
Specifications

180SX 94-98

[left]Displacement: 1998cc (2.0 liter) [/left]

Cam type: DOHC 16 valve, chain driven cam sprockets

Bore and stroke: 86mm x 86mm

Compression: 8.5 : 1

Horsepower: 205hp at 6000rpm Torque: 203 ft/lbs at 4000rpm

Stock boost: 7 psi

Throttle body bore: 60mm

Turbo specs: Injector size: 370cc/min

Co mpressor: T-25, 60 trim 56mm BCI-1 compressor.

Turbine: T-25, 62 trim 53.8mm 0.64 A/R turbine housing.

Center Section: Journal bearings

hey addicted2boost. do you own or have you ever owned a 240?