Sr20det spark plug Question

Hey guys
where in town would I be able to find spark plugs for the sr20det?
Ive called part source, bumper to bumper, and they dont have the speficic spark plug im looking for, and mopac wont answer their phone :confused1:
I was going to get BKR7EIX-11 spark plugs, iridiums…but Ive read mixed reviews about them, wondering what the locals think?:biggrinjester:

Call Nissan. They carry a wide variety of NGK and they are way cheaper than part source ect. Atleast when i purchased some Iridium tip ones from them.

ive ran bkr7e in my sr all summer without a problem. changed them often cause i was too cheap to buy irridiums though.

If you are going to call nissan find the part number first or else they won’t help you, but the manager dude for parts at ericson nissan is pretty cool he was telling hes got a s14 with s14 sr

I don’t know if this is relevant or not, but I know from experience and reading various forums, that rb’s don’t like iridium plugs. This may or may not be the case with sr’s, but from what I’ve read, the temperature range for the iridiums is not ideal for those turbo engines.

I changed my plugs (NGK iridiums to NGK copper) and the engine runs and sounds much better. Not to mention they’re cheap as f ($3/plug, copper >> $18/plug, iridium). Replacing them more often is recommended though.

If someone has used iridiums on their sr and loved them, then ring in, I could be 100% wrong with regards to sr’s (never owned one). I’m just stating the case for the rb’s, which is a turbo nissan engine from the same era.

yea man, that guy is so chill, he ordered me a bunch of shit for my 180 man.

You do know that KA plugs are the same thing as SR plug eh??? The KA runs a 5 heat plug and the SR runs a 6 heat range from factory. I run KA 6 heat range pugs in my RB too and it runs fine. If you want the 7 heat range NGK get BKR7ES-11 or BKR7ES, 6 heat range BKR6ES-11.

You can find these at any autoparts store. Cross reference if you have to.

Next time search a bit before asking such a simple question, most Nissan motors are very similar and parts interchange quite easily

It’s all good, I gave him some.

Thanks for the information. I did run a search, thats where I got the number of what plug to use. But when I called to see whom had plugs in the 6 or 7 heat range, no body did, which I found was odd.

Canadian tire or parts osurce will have some sort of 6 range plugs for sure and some part source even have 7 heat range to. South common and 137 ave/127st locations have it. You may just have to ask.

As stated before, I did call and ask :stuck_out_tongue:
but I did get the proper plugs from Amar.
Thanks for the information Flavio.

3764 is the part number .028 is the gap

I know that guy at erikson I do believe.
Is his name gurdeep?
Drives a black 300zx or some blazer.

For the record, I’ve been running Iridium and platinum heat range 6’s in my 180 and never had any problems, except that I didn’t have the right gap the first time I installed them. I’m running a stock turbo, so I just set everything to the factory gap :slight_smile:

If you use coppers with a turbo, keep in mind they could melt easily under high boost or high temps. I would recommend you replace them with every 5000km oil change. Remember, if you lose an electrode while driving, it drops straight into your cylinder. Checking them often is easy. It takes <10 minutes since the SR motor is so easy to get to the plugs! I love my SR for this. Seriously, the easiest spark plug maintenance in any car I’ve ever owned.

Oh, and don’t over torque the spark plugs! Remember you have an all aluminum engine. Save yourself a lot of hassle and get one of those lame looking but uber safe ‘T’ handle spark plug removal tools… This will also save you from having to use a double 3/8" extension and ratchet and pliers and so much fuss I used to go through to get my plugs out. All you need to do is get your plugs hand tight if you don’t have a torque wrench.

One last tip: I use ngk’s australian website to look up plugs for my 180. They actually list the part because RHD imports are crazy popular over there.
These resources are really great, and I haven’t found that much on NGK’s N.A. sites:
http://ngk.com.au/sparkplug_tech.php?div=mod (great read about engine mods & plugs – explains everything)
http://ngk.com.au/sparkplug_imports.php?PageMode=Results&Make=Nissan&Model=180SX&Year=1%2F918%2F962000TurboSR20DET
(NGK actually recommends BKR6EIX Iridium IX!)