ssautochrome turbos good?

no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT28RS-BALL-BEARING-TURBO-CA18DET-SR20DET-S13-S14_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8017172267QQrdZ1

Bwahahahhaaha … oh god… where do i start…

how about do a search of any car fourm that could possibly utilize a turbo and find out … ( hint: you 110% get EXACTLY what you pay for…)

They’re made in the same factory as garratt and jic, they just don’t have the name branded on them… :roll:

I didn’t realize Garrett glued their compressor housings together.

edit: Oh that was sarrrrcasmm. me=slow

soo they good?

not all unbranded shit is bad. u cant just see that its ss and immediately say its a piece of shit. i dont know about the turbos but a lot of the unbranded shit does come out of the same factory as the brands that weve known to love. u guys should just read bings article in this months modified heh.

soo they good?[/quote]

I wouldn’t buy it for more than $200 US, it’s not worth the down time when it blows up.

Other GT28RS’s are selling for way more than twice that price…something to consider.

lol thanks

I guess I got enough information

no it is!

lock! :stuck_out_tongue:

everyone should…

if it doesnt have moving parts, i say buy the unbranded gear.

exhuast, intercooler, catch can, cooling panel, body kit whatever… if it isnt 100% perfect you can modify it (as with fitting a kit, teaking your exhaust hangers…etc)

BUT!!!

if it has moving parts, stay away.

i am sure BAS could get into this nice and deep.

the centre cartridge on the turbo has to be within a VERY tight spec in order to funciton properly and there have been many cases on those turbos there they are not.

if these factories cant get a knock off greddy type S bov right, how can they get a tubro right?

everyone should…

if it doesnt have moving parts, i say buy the unbranded gear.

exhuast, intercooler, catch can, cooling panel, body kit whatever… if it isnt 100% perfect you can modify it (as with fitting a kit, teaking your exhaust hangers…etc)

BUT!!!

if it has moving parts, stay away.

i am sure BAS could get into this nice and deep.

the centre cartridge on the turbo has to be within a VERY tight spec in order to funciton properly and there have been many cases on those turbos there they are not.

if these factories cant get a knock off greddy type S bov right, how can they get a tubro right?[/quote]

Instead of saying stay away from anything with moving parts… I would say stay away from anything that receives ANY stress.

I have heard soooo many horror stories about SSAC headers/turbo manifolds.

I don’t want to come off as an ass here Bing, but your opinion on unbranded items is a wee bit bias don’t you think? :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t exactly knock unbranded stuff when that’s basically what you sell right?

beyond the ’ moving parts ’ issue people seem to miss the fact that somewhere some thing(s) have to be done differently to be made cheaper… everyone needs to make a profit to support overhead and such so SOMEWHERE somehting HAS tob e different… in the case of say the headers… a lower quality less capable metal was used. As I’ve experienced and a few other here just this season, they are NOT well suited to ’ performance’…

Things that the ’ unbranded parts’ are missing ( on an induvidual basis )

• tolerances ( a BOV, that leaks because it’s a few 10ths out is going to screw up the perfomance of that part )

• quality materials, ( granted a catch can is not requireing of high end materials or at least certified, but things like headers, DP’s, cats… DO require quality materials.)

• truth of build, ( stainless parts that use mild steel flanges or supports is going to cause problems )

• added parts, ( almost all ‘named’ companies provide the support accesories like grade 8.8 or higher fasteners… )

• innovation, ( most of the time, the ‘unbranded’ products are copies of the original, but that’s it , copies… I’ve seen a few times that have copied the parts but NOT with any understanding of how it’s suppose to function or WHY it’s built a specific way… an example is an unbranded SSQV that litterally had no way of working close to properly. )

actually i would be one of the best people to ask for for advice because i have first hand experience with the products at purchasing, warranty, and other levels that most people dont. i also have seen more of it than most people have as well. and you wont ever hear me say that unbranded parts are the $hit.

if you thought i was bias try and explain why i gave unbranded products that i knew to be defective to Modified Mag for the article?

i could get these knock off turbos for very cheap… but i dont because they are shit.

but in my opinion, having used alot of this stuff i beleive alot of it to be identical in many ways to brand name stuff.

hell, Megan Racing is exactly, repeat ‘EXACTLY’ the same for most of the parts.

if you put the downpipes, turbo extensions, test pipes, and a few other parts side by side you couldnt tell what teh difference is.

i happen to use the manifold, as do many others across the continent.

its all install.

but yes, anything that requires very tight tolerances should be avoided.

it may also be interesting to ponder why all the wholesalers in the US are carrying and selling the unbranded gear as well.

if they really find it to be crap, why sell it and have to warranty it?

look at Phase2, Jspec.com, JGY, Enjuku, and pretty much everyone else…

they are all selling unbranded parts and trying to pass them off as an economy line…

whole bunch of cognitive dissonance right thur…

I would like an Opinion from someone who actually used an SS turbo, not someones Opinion of what they Heard, about a Product.

Here, i hope this answers all your questions.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=tshow&id=1097918

discussion on ziptied

http://www.ziptied.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5987&highlight=ssac

problem with first hand experience is that u have to be dumb enough to buy one in order to get first hand experience.

jesse’s next door neighbour bought the SSAC turbo kit, blew up a couple motors and still hasnt gotten it to go right in about a year now.

Can you please provide me with a link or any documents where this is stated. Not to knock on you AppleSauce but there is SOOO and I mean SOOO much misinformation out there on these products that you cannot trust anything thats said. And by stating what you did, you are polluting the minds of others with something that has yet to be proven.

IMO, unless you are willing to take a bit of a risk and buy one of these turbos to test out yourself then there is really no information out there that is going to convince you to buy it because of the conflicting stories.

Think about it from a marketing aspect only. These knockoffs enter the aftermarket industry and even if they are just as good, they threaten to turn the entire performance world upside down, not to mention ALOT of lost profits. So you have a mass hysteria of people saying these products are bad, then people who say they are good. This is a recirculating battle that really never ends.

In the end, quality wins out 95% of the time but thats not saying the turbo in the auction here wont work for you just as well as a its branded counterpart. Its whether you are willing to look past the misinformation and make a judgement call on your own.

Lastly, I too know a friend who runs a knockoff EVO 16G turbo and it has been absolutely awesome but Im not going to go out there and say its a great turbo on the forums because I know of ONE person running it. Nothing short of a Consumer Reports test would prove the actual quality of these products.

I will say this though, installation is key and like some of the other guys have mentioned, non moving parts are a much safer bet when buying knock off parts.

Applesauce was kidding, hence the :rolleyes: emoticon

but its just like BAS said and like i said as well,

if they cant get a BOV to work properly because the tolerances are out of spec how can they get a turbo to work properly?

JIC doesnt even make turbos…lol

u can tell just by holding the SSAC turbos that they are not the same as the Garret.

that i do have experience with

An SSAC product spinning at upwards of 100,000rpm doesn’t sound like a good idea.
Turbine blades inside the engine is probably bad too…

Anyone want a turbine blade in the face?