Starting woes.... Need help!!! Now rough shaking...

Okay, heres the scenerio couldn’t start the 2-4-0 and noticed slight gas leak. Repaired the lines but still it won’t start.

1. I’m getting spark on each cylinder.
  2. Fuel is definitely getting past the filter into the injector
  3. Battery checks out - load tested
  4. Starter seems to be cranking fine.

What I’m going to try is to remove the crank angle sensor, but leave it plugged in, when I rotate it it should fire the injectors. If it doesn’t, it could be the sensor or wiring getting to the injectors…

Any other thoughts???

Also I think there may be something putting a drain on the battery, other than my incessant attempts at starting… havn’t nailed that one down yet… but I suppose they can be related… And all this after letting it sit for only 1.5 months!!! ARGH!!!

Any ideas??? I’m cold and the lack of alcoholic beverages to inspire my work is quite a hindrance!

CAS do not just go, especially when there is spark.

There are too many people here that look way too far into shit at the start. You have to make sure you know what the problem is first. Take out the plugs, put some gas in them and try that. If it fires THEN AND ONLY THEN do you KNOW it is not getting gas. Then work backwards, with simple shit. I would take the line from the fuel pump to the rail off, turn the key on, it should pour gas out. (just noticed you said it does, but make sure it has pressure, not left over pressure or something).

Once you do that I will continue. DO NOT take the CAS out, there is no need at this point, you could be making work for yourself.

Well when I removed the line aft of the fuel filter gas poured out. Given that it had been sitting for 1.5 months, and that I had just replaced the fuel lines, I’m doubtful that this could’ve been any leftover gas.

???

Another thought I had was that perhaps from sitting my AAC valve has become seized?

That’s quite a daunting task… Hell if I were to remove the head I may as well replace the upper timing chain/guides etc while I’m at it! :wink: :wink:

Considering it started/ran great until I let it sit, I’m doubtul if anything mechanical is the cause. And since I know there is fuel aft the filter, I’m thinking there must be something either stopping the fuel from entering into the head or the injectors are no geting the signal to fire…

There could still be some left over gas, but minimal amounts.

Have you considered the fuel pump is bad or they’res not enough pressure in the system?

If you’ve had sediment build up in the bottom of your tank your inline or fuel filter could be clogged also.

Just my thaughts.

Why oh my must you make it more complicated than it is? Take the fuel line off, have someone turn the key on fo about 3 seconds, if the pump is working it will spew fuel out (put a container under it)

This is only AFTER you put gas in each cyl, like I said before. It takes about 5 min, and saves about 5 hours of jerking around with shit. Don’t be a fool, make sure it’s fuel.

NEVER EVER ASSUME YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS UNTIL YOU ARE 100%.

(1) Buy some Quick Start and spray a bit into the intake. Crank the engine and see if it’ll fire up. If it momentarily runs (1/2 - full second) it means the engine isn’t getting fuel.

(2) Re-check your fuel pressure! Do as Nave said on this one.

(3) Check the Air Intake passages to see if they’re clogged. Maybe a rodent or something else made a home of it and it’s blocking/majorly restricting air flow.

(4) Check ALL your fuses!

Something else … this isn’t likely it but it would be stupid to overlook …

A screwed up MAF will make it impossible for your car to stay running for any amount of time. Pull off the intake and make sure everything looks alright and the sensor is plugged in right.

Got it started!!! Woohoo! But now heres the new problem… its stumbling… Almost like its mis-firing… but all cyls have spark.

Next course of action… while running, unplug one injector at a time and see how the RPM’s react.

Any other ideas???

Hey Freak, how did you get that pic of the military guy with the sign about Sasha’s stolen car???

Did you stabilize the gas before you put it away? I bet you use 91 too.

Since you fail to state how you got it to go, I only assume you did nothing, it just started, in which case it sounds like you have bad gas in it. If I remember correctly 91 and such tends to go bad sooner because of its content.

Sounds like a Gummed up Injector.

My 1st car did this exact same thing.

Remove your Fuel rail and get a freind to crank it over.

Visually inspect if all the injectors are spraying.

^^^ I also got a good feeling it’s the injectors…

I doubt the gas will go bad within a month but try the easy way out first.

Ooops, I never saw the only been stored for a month thing, thought it had been parked all summer. Continue searching the fuel issue at this point.

Yes I did stabilize the gas, and I don’t use 91 octane unless the price is right and I know for fact that it wasn’t before I stop running her. Going to use Smoke and Shifts suggestions on the injector.

Stupid questions, is there a way to manually clean an injector when its removed? Or are these sealed units?

Soak them in siht I forget what then take a tooth brush to the needle very ligtly… But gas will be good as long as its not damp for about a year in the tank.

I beg to differ. I have taken apart many snowmobile carbs that were only parked a few months and they were noticeably plugged with gunk, enough to lean out jets and such, though it is likely not the problem here. I would double check fuel pressure before I went taking the injectors out. Do all the simple stuff first, then take shit apart.

Well by unpluggin each injector one at a ime while the engine was running, I noticed that injector #2 had no discernible affec on the RPM or the shaking, leading me to believe that it is the culprit. Tried to get the injector out, but what a freaking pain that is!!! Just getting the rail out is a pain… had it paryially out and tried to get the injector out by pushing on the tail, but to no avail…

Injectors are also damn expensive!!! $268 from my local NAPA. OUCH!!!

For that price I would seriously look into it being the issue, obviously. BUt should you find that is the problem buy a set of four off ebay for less…there are always some

I thought this was an SR…