States to be allowed to set their own fuel efficency standards

Huge :picard: to Obama on this one.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/26/obama.emissions/index.html

So now automakers are going to have to build cars to what ever standard each state decides they want to adopt. I’m sure this will greatly help the struggling auto industry.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

This is going to be a fucking mess for multiple reasons.

Every state can be different! hooray.

Waiting to get fucked by nys on this one and I would hate to live in cali…

BAD BAD BAD move.

Ugh.

I thought republicans all sweated states’ rights? Or is that just for giving Kansas et al the right to ban abortions?

I think some good could come of this. The manufacturers have a choice to make all of their cars compliant with the stricter standards, discontinue sales in those markets, or make a “cali model.” Realistically, the states that want a tighter standard should all come together and agree on one set to adopt for all of them, so there would be two standards to focus on instead of 50. I wonder if somewhere like Texas could use this to try to enforce a LESS stringent standard though.

Is this similar to California where they have their own emissions standards?

LOL. The texas vette. No cats, no egr, no mufflers, wassa

Texas is actually very strict in some areas…many places in Texas have the dyno/sniffer inspection now for emissions.

NY always follows Calif.
In order to register a new car here it has to meet Calif emissions not 49 state.

This has nightmare written all over it…

:picard:

The only reason NY adpoted the higher emiss standard is because we get mucho highway funds. Hmm… I wonder if he will cut the funding? That will cause me a problem, as i am paid from these funds.

Or maybe they should just raise the efficiency standard NATIONWIDE.

This may not turn out as bad as you guys are thinking. If the automakers are smart, they will build cars that reach the highest standards, and simply exceed the others by far so that they are only building more efficient cars across the board.

The U.S. is waaaay behind when it comes to fuel efficiency standards when compared to the rest of the world.

http://images.wri.org/chart_jl_enviro2006_06_530.gif

this was my first thought when I saw the topic.

Republicans are always bitching about “big govt” and states should have more power…

so eat your cake and shut up :smiley:

So what if I in NYS wants to buy a car sold in a less strict standards state?

Are we going to be able to? Will we have to pay compliance charges?

my guess is, prob not. The rule is probably like the emissions, where they have to pass to SELL it in NY, but NY buyers can go out of state to buy. I found my truck at a local dealer when they pulled up a list of potential dealer trades, but they couldn’t get it and sell it to me because it had the PA emissions on it. I had to buy it from the dealer in PA, and I was OK.

If you look closely at the corvette symbol… :stuck_out_tongue:

I hope that manufacturers only meet what the states want. Then if you want the Texas corvette with/out all the bullshit you can just buy a new one there and drive it home. Unless they try to make you retrofit it somehow.

You cant now. At least not a new one. has to be used w/ at least 7,500 miles on it

and i’m questioning the canada thing in the chart. Manufact dont have a separate(higher) canada emissions that i am aware of. Most canadian vehicles meet the lower us standard 49 state yet according to the chart from paulo they have a higher standard???

That’s an MPG chart, i don’t know why it’s labeled emissions.

BECAUSE MPG = EMISSIONS!!!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

jokes.