Stealing GPS systems

My husband’s Garmin was stolen from his work van this weekend. He had a couple of our old cell phones on the passenger seat to give to a buddy in need of a replacement, and the van is filled with misc. tools/construction supplies, copper pipes etc…but all that was stolen was the freaking Garmin.

Out of boredom, I did a little search on Twitter for “stole GPS” and was kind of shocked to see the amount of people who have had their GPS systems taken from their cars in the last few days alone…but what I found really strange was how many people mentioned all the other valuables in their cars that went untouched (laptops, cameras, CDs, phones, etc).

I don’t get it. Will someone enlighten me?

easy to get rid of no questions asked for $60+
thats all there is to it and they only take all of 30 seconds to grab off of the dash or wherever theyre mounted so its fast which makes them less likely to get caught.

Gps will most likely have places that you go to alot, this way they can find the vehicle again and hit it up for something else.

Quick grab and its easy to see since its in the open.

Christmas Gift.

Old cell phones are far easier to trace because of their Id numbers. A GPS is almost as good as cash.

They can push the “Go home” location and rob your house.

Awesome.
That’s what I was thinking…Guess it’s time to get the gun out of the safe.

:fail:

why people leave shit in plain view is beyond me.

:picard:

He didn’t even have it set up on the dash or window. But still:fail:

:picard:

its obvious that this happens no matter nwhere you live and who you are, so picaerd yourself. the only way to protect the shit you own is to not leave the shit where it can be stolen.,

How anybody can take your opinions seriously is beyond me.

Especially for people that have attached garages. Steal GPS, steal garage opener, Bingo!

My father in law had his stolen from his rental car. They took it in middle of the afternoon in his hotel parking lot in amherst. He really got screwed because the GPS was rented and they billed him over $600 to replace it.

On a side note: WNY is soo small I don’t see the need for a GPS unless you are on a road trip or need it for commercial purposes.

They are convienent when you are looking for a specific address that you’ve never been to before.

http://www.westernny.com/regions.html

Half the state is small? It’s way easier to plug an address into a gps then bothering with printing directions off of google maps or trying to read a real map while driving. It’s also nice because there are so many times where a location doesn’t have a visible address on the building, if you do alot of driving they are so helpful.