Steel Brake Line?????!??

Yesterday the brakes on my '95 TSi AWD went bye bye. There is a nasty hole in the rear line, just in front of the gas tank area and the line is pretty rusty. I was wondering if anyone had an idea, or better yet a diagram of the routing of the brake lines? It’s in a hard to see area and I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get this done. Also, what am I looking at difficulty-wise to do this?

Thanks in advance.

cut the line. flare the ends go to autozone by a straight section and rent the flare and tube bende, bend up the piece and put it in. the lines already come flared with fittings, it would look like this

plus = section added
------±----±—

dont need to do a whole line for a small section

So Do I just cut out the small section of tubing that has the hole in it? And replace it with a small section of the new? And If the spot on the brake line is in a hard to reach spot, how does this all work?

Very unfamiliar with brake line repairs, and def. don’t have the money or desire to take it in if it’s a fairly straightforward job.

take the whole brake line off, if u can just replace the whole line then do that if u dont want to just do a small section. the lines come from autozone in a straight section. take off your line and measure it and go by a line that will match it and bend it up. put it back on and bled your brakes

Doesn’t sound too difficult.

Now the question remains, do any of the DSM crew guys know where the line from the Drivers side rear brakes leads to?

I’m gonna guess the proportioning valve.

Those usually route up over the gas tank and lead up to the master or just under the master. you dont need to pull the old line out and it does not have to be routed exactly like the original just same general area and tie it off so it doesnt get snagged on anything cut the ends of the old lines off (fittings) so you know what size line and what flare ends it has (take them with you to the parts store) when you re run the new lines be careful not to kink it

fwiw dual flares in brake lines fail NYSI…

no i think only compression fittings do

err yea, i think you’re right…couldn’t remember if it was flares or compressions

man ive been out of NYS too long…

if you just replace a small section another hole will form at the next weakest point just replace it all. I can do it for you if you dont want to pay a crazy price

I replaced it up 'til where it gets to be real solid steel again.