Step in healthy eaters v. low carb

Ya my body hated healthy food the first 4 days.

I think this may help as I need to up my sodium. I did add up my daily intake and I am below 50% which could easily attribute to the cramping I am getting.

This is the second full week of it. Typically I would agree but since I am not a gym person and going to enjoy weekends, I need to eat clean during the week including things that are not processed.

Disagree. The benefit to a low carb diet is you dont have to count calories, you can essentially eat as much as you want as long as the ratios of fat-protein-carbs is about right. It’s a lot easier than many of the diets people are on these days where they try to operate in a calorie deficit and essentially starve their bodies of the nutrition it needs, and being hungry all the time.

Though I do agree with that last bit to a certain extent, it’s very similar to a common adage among paleo circles: “There are no diets, only lifestyles”

Let me know if you want to hit up Terrie’s gym.

I don’t count calories or carbs, I just don’t eat bad food often. If your not counting calories on a low carb diet, you’re counting carbs. If you just stick to a healthy diet in general, you can eat regular amounts of food, when you are hungry, and take in less sugar and fat than you were previously.

I have a fitness 19 cuz its pretty decent crowd there and not busy but I havent been in forever.

Calories ALWAYS count. If you have a caloric surplus you’ll gain weight, no matter what your macro breakdown is.

Is fruit for someone who isn’t trying to get shredded really matter for carbs? I kinda am going around the whole theory that no one ever went to the doctor and was told “You are fat because you eat too much fruit”

Fruit carbs (natural sugars) are not bad for you. You can not eat too much fruit and get fat, you would likely die of some other ailment first.

Stored body fat is caused by a caloric surplus…the type of calorie could somewhat be argued as irrelevant. The point behind a ketogenic (low carb) diet tends to be making your body burn fat for energy rather than carbs. Low carb diets are usually meant to be low GI and excellent at managing insulin/body chemistry.

I disagree. Sugars are sugars.

Any evidence to back this up? I search online and come up with hundreds of articles that say different. Picking from some of them that have clout, you get information like this:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/making-the-case-for-eating-fruit/

Sugars are effectively sequestered in the fruit’s cells, he explained, and it takes time for the digestive tract to break down those cells. The sugars therefore enter the bloodstream slowly, giving the liver more time to metabolize them. Four apples may contain the same amount of sugar as 24 ounces of soda, but the slow rate of absorption minimizes any surge in blood sugar.

Not all sugars are equal.

• Updated - - -

And another:

On average, Americans don’t eat enough fruit, so don’t cut it out of your diet in an attempt to limit your sugar intake! Sugar itself isn’t toxic. But getting too much of it from cookies and cake is.

In the context of low-carb dieting, sugars are sugars.

Milk, blueberries, strawberries and apples IS likely too much sugar for a low carb diet.

blueberries, 15g sugar, https://www.google.com/search?q=blueberries+nutritional+facts&oq=blueberries+nutritional+facts&aqs=chrome..69i57.6918j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Strawberry, 1, .6g sugar https://www.google.com/search?q=blueberries+nutritional+facts&oq=blueberries+nutritional+facts&aqs=chrome..69i57.6918j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

apple, 19g sugar https://www.google.com/search?q=blueberries+nutritional+facts&oq=blueberries+nutritional+facts&aqs=chrome..69i57.6918j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8#q=apple+nutritional+facts

Sugars are not all created equal, but all sugars contain calories. Shit isn’t that hard…if you run a caloric surplus you’ll store most of the excess calories as fat. If you create a caloric deficit you’ll end up using your fat stores as energy. Of course we could get more complex here, but since the basics are being ignored/overlooked I really don’t see much value in discussing body chemistry etc… Before someone asks— Why do I feel qualified to talk about CKD and ketogenics? I’ve run a CKD diet at least 5 times and every time I’ve gained lean body mass WHILE dropping about 50% of my body fat at the same time. I can cut my body fat in half while sparing/gaining muscle in a matter of months, at will. Why do you suspect all my friends that tried the same diet failed? They weren’t counting fucking calories properly (if at all) and they weren’t watching their macros. Oh and they weren’t hitting the gym hard so they weren’t elevating their metabolism properly. I digress.

This.

Sugar is sugar, however it’s less concentrated in fruit than in many other common things in today. I.E. a banana has about 15G net carbs, whereas a 20oz pepsi has about 70G. If you’re already at a manageable weight then fruit isn’t that bad for you in moderation (that being said you should avoid fruit juice, basically as bad as pop in many cases). However, if you’re overweight then eating fruit is going to slow your progress. The only exceptions I made in the diet for fruit were avocado which has a lot of healthy fats and few net carbs, tomatoes, since I used them in the chili I made and one can diced spread out over 5 servings wasn’t that many carbs, and in my post workout drink. I did a targeted ketogenic diet where I consume some healthy carbs (fruits or potatoes, generally) before and after workouts for the energy and to restore muscle glycogen, but didn’t take a day on the weekend to carb load like Tradersbase mentioned above. Two different approaches but they both get about the same result.

EDIT: Also, the cliffnotes of the book/this diet can be found here: http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WWGF-Readers-Digest-feature-Feb-2011.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ketogenic-Diet-Complete-Practitioner/dp/0967145600

This book will give you more than you’ll ever need or want to know about ketogenic chemistry. I’ve never done a targeted diet personally, I had such wicked success with CKD I never saw the need to experiment further. Originally I favored the CKD because it offers a full depletion followed by a replenish that gives a big flush of fluids. I was busting my ass 3-4 days a week in the gym (not counting 1-2 hours cardio at home daily) and felt I needed that large flush to clear the muscles out, replenish glycogen & ATP etc… I have experimented with 2-3 weeks without a carb-up and my muscles were all flat & cramping, strength tanked at that point for obvious reasons. A carbup of some sort is crucial and often overlooked by Atkins tards.

The key for me was to feed my lean body mass, NOT my total bodyweight. Why would you consume calories to maintain total bodyweight when you want to shed fat? Weigh yourself. Take your bodyfat measurement and determine your LBM. Ensure you’re getting 1 gram of protein per lb. of LBM. Work your other macros around the protein. Tinker and learn YOUR body because we’re all different. I can consume 40-50 grams of net carbs without leaving ketosis, for many others 5-10 is their max. Learn your carb tolerance and also determine your true basal metabolism.

Important calculations…
3500 calories = about 1lb bodyweight
4 calories per gram of carb
4 calories per gram of protein
7 calories per gram of fat

Fat breaks down much slower than the other macro nutrients. You should feel full and satiated if you’re doing a ketogenic diet right.

I’m more than happy to share my experience and studies here as requested. Just first understand that not all calories are created equal and we’ll build on that. :slight_smile:

I fucking hate these threads…Increase exercise, don’t eat so shitty. You wouldn’t take programming advice from someone who doesn’t even know how to program would you? Why take health and diet information from people that aren’t doctors, dietitians, or the like.

Programmers are rather opinionated, there are probably 101 ways (some more efficient than others) to get to the same point through code. Doctors tend to be bribed ass puppets, pushing meds the pharma rep suggested while buying their office breakfast.

You should always consider advice from those that have actually tried something before you. I’d be willing to put my real world experiences up against a book worm’s opinion almost any day of the week. Also bear in mind traditional advice is a moving target, they say saturated fats are bad one year and the next they are healthy etc… Consider the institutional love for BMI and other moronic measures of health. You would blindly listen to a doctor just because they are well schooled? Would you blindly follow political leaders because we’re assured they are of higher intelligence?

lol just an analogy. I agree with pretty much everything you said. My point is, if someone is giving you advice ESPECIALLY on health, what basis is it on? Did they hear it from a friend? Read it in a book? Can they prove medically that X is bad for you?

I think everyone should read this excellent article Why There's So Much Confusion Over Health and Nutrition | Lifehacker

Good read there, yep. This is why I keep posting pseudo disclaimers where I say every body is different. Those that want everything done for them will fail in life, always. You have to experiment and learn your body, there is no one size fits all. We all have a different basal metabolism, we all have different sensitivity to sugars, gluten, dairy etc…

Above all else we all have varied amounts of willpower/desire. I spent time helping many people understand keto and most ended up telling me it “didn’t work” for them. I asked if they were working out and/or monitoring macro intake and they were not. I have people tell me stock charts “don’t work” which is comical because there are millions of ways to interpret the same chart. Introspection is a wonderful thing IMO.