Stock Mounts + Urethane

I’m curious who all here has tried this method and in what variations etc…

Did you use as much urethane as you could cram in and made them as solid as possible ? Did you only fill up the center/middle portions of the mounts or has anyone done it sparingly ?

I have a set of mint JDM Engine Mounts and a good Tranny Mount. Now I already now they will be an improvement over stock ones currently in the car but I’m wondering whether I should only do the tranny mount and leave the engine mounts or whether I should do them both. My only concern thou is I do not want to go over board and have them to stiff or solid.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

“Elroy” on here did this, I’ve been in/driven his car and I didn’t find it too annoying, at least they didn’t feel like they were solid mounts. However there is considerable vibration transferred to the chassis, but not an annoying level. IIRC his are completely packed with window urethane, but I’d suggest either PMing him or seeing if he finds the thread to post.

Just get JGY mounts or nismo mounts if you want stiffer ride but still comfortable.

I think the idea is to avoid paying $100 plus for something you can make for 1/10th the price that works just as well.

i made my motor mounts in my old civic

stock mounts with windshield adhesive

worked well

but my dash rattled like a bitch

in a 240 i dont think it would be as bad

nismo mounts are perfect. worth the money. stop being cheap ass’

You get what you pay for /bottom line

i loved the nismo mounts i would suggest you getting them. its worth it.

I did that mod in my talon. Rattled the shit out of everything. Including a bolt on the timing belt side which eventually rattled itself loose and took out my timing belt.

Nismo mounts are the only way to go. I love them.

Whole point of this thread was for curiosity sake… The jdm oem mounts I have are damn near brand spanking new so I do not require Nismo Mounts from a replacement stand point. Nor am I looking to upgrade my motor mounts as I’m not concerned about the motor vibrations since its minimal to begin with.

Was just curious how stiff the urethane actually can make the mounts but I’m not dealing with a rattling dash so I’ll just stay away from it.

I did this with a set of oem mounts on my sr setup. They were amazing to say the least. There was huge improvent in stiffness…very minimal engine flex and the vibration was not bad at all, ya it was a little louder in the cabin and you felt a little vibration at idle but nothing crazy at all. The biggest improvement I must say was the shifting…nice firm, precise shifts! Throttle response seemed to be improved aswell.
I removed as much of the factory rubber I could that was in the engine/tranny mount, then I blocked 3 of the 4 sides on the mount and filled them with urathane. Let them fully cure for a few days( or longer just to be safe)…install and enjoy! The urathane I used was some industrial grade stuff, they had different stiffness ratings, I can’t remember the name of it though, a friend of mine ordered for me.

BTW…alot of the guys who are complaing about rattling dashes had these mounts of FWD cars. You will feel ALOT more vibration on a FWD car with urathane mounts then you will with a RWD with the same mounts…mostly because on FWD the motor sits transverse in the bay and has a completely different subframe design.

I have been in another s13 with nismo mounts and in my opinion you can make your own mounts that will be just as good…if not better than the nismo’s and save yourself some $$$ aswell.

It has nothing to do with being a cheap ass…why pay for some “nismo” labelled urathane when you can spend a few hours in your garage and make your own that are just as good for a fraction of the price!

Hope this helps you make your decision!

I run cuscos and race peak perf tranny mounts with alot of other solid stuff its hell and back LOL but man its fun.

I would have prolly went with JGS engine mounts or nismos like i said… JGS mounts are the best bang for the buck check em out honestly.

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/kamain.html#anchor406138

Whoever has run these has been a happy monkey. Choice of solid race or ‘racy’ setup depending on the bushings choice of rubber or poly or solid and its exchangable and whenver its worn out in few years u can just get the lil bushin instead of a whole mount. Good price too. Wouldn’t get their tranny mount though as u have to do some drilling if ur lazy. Peak performance race tranny mount is golden

i did it twice,
first time used this urethane for masonry like retaining walls i think.
It didn’t get too hard, but stiffened up the mounts, with minor rear view mirror vibration.
second time i used PL construction adhesive. this stuff is most hard and transmits more vibrations…much more, but i don’t mind it.
both times i fully packed the mounts with no load on them.

Well that is defiantly nice to know. I was not sure if you could get Urethane that varied in degrees of softness to hardness etc… As I wouldn’t mind getting some that is semi-soft and just fill in the Tranny Mount a bit and leave the Motor Mounts alone since they are almost new to begin with.