Stock questions (absolute noob here)

DO NOT THINK ABOUT THIS IN THIS WAY, EVER… Losses are losses. You lose that money. Don’t think you are getting some magic tax credit.

Link to simulator? :smiley: Never thought there was something like that on the internet.

its actually pretty fun, ill see if i can find the one i used during school

edit: here it is http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/Homepage.aspx

STOCKTRAK.COM, i use this for my finance class

losses are losses…that’s pretty profound.

Never said it was magic. And never said it was a ‘credit’.

and yes, there are many times when losses would be advantageous…to offset other side income you might have to reduce your overall tax burden. Why do you think there is such sell off at year end??

:picard:

Lets lose 100% of my money so I can prevent paying 30% tax on that money.

:fail:

this is the same mentality that prevents people from selling when their investments when they have gained value because they have to pay taxes on the gain…

:bloated:

Not until you cash it in man…

If you are interested in learning, go spend quite a bit of time learning at www.investopedia.com don’t take financial advice from idiots on the internet.

Tyler,
If you want to start investing, pick up a book, or read up on it on the internet from a good site. Also listen to Walter and get into a “play” investment site before you dump cash into the market on individual stocks.
If you just want to put your money somewhere to start saving for the future at the moment, put in into a Roth IRA

not exactly what I said. But i get it. It makes you feel better.