Street Racing Seniors

We should collect news articles like this, that show that people outside of our age group, driving stock family sedans happen to be street racing just as often, if not more than the “core demographic”

I’m pretty sure half of us get raced more often by some idiot in an F150 thinking his American Power is TEH SHIT :smiley:

sign in required?

Very odd, I didn’t need to, and I definitely don’t have an account with some random-ass newspaper. Anyway, here goes for those that need sign-in:
Driver faces manslaughter charge in Interstate 280 crash
By Leslie Griffy
Mercury News
Article Launched: 07/26/2007 08:25:29 AM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
One of three cars involved in a fatal accident… (Jann-Paul D. Fabrin/Special to the Mercury News)«12»
Interact
Post your breaking news photos, see those others have posted
A 68-year-old man faces a manslaughter charge after the car he drove at more than 100 mph Thursday morning slammed into two other cars near the Race Street exit on Interstate 280, sparking a blaze that killed one of those drivers, the California Highway Patrol’s San Jose office said.

Witnesses told CHP officers they had seen the black 2007 Camry speeding southbound on the highway, using both shoulders and all of the lanes to pass cars for six miles, as far back as Wolfe Road in Cupertino, officer Todd Thibodeau said.

CHP officers arrested Guadalupe Gomez of Redwood City on suspicion of vehicle manslaughter with gross negligence at Valley Medical Center, where he was treated for a broken leg and cuts he suffered in the crash, officer Todd Thibodeau said.

“He has made no statements or admissions as to why he was driving the way he was allegedly driving,” Thibodeau said.

Gomez remains hospitalized. The Santa Clara County coroner’s office declined to release the name of the dead driver because the investigation is ongoing, Sheriff’s Lt. Jim Keith said.

The third driver, Jedidiah Lee Dooley, 27, of Los Gatos, was treated for scratches to his face.

Gomez allegedly drove his car at speeds of 100 mph or more through heavy commuter traffic until he rammed into Dooley’s gray 2000 Mazda 626 near the Race Street exit at about 7:40 a.m., witnesses told the CHP.

The Mazda hit the center median and came to rest in the lane next

Advertisement

to the fast lane.
After hitting the Mazda, Gomez’s Camry crashed into the back of a car that officers believe was a 1993 Honda Accord. That car spun around and burst into flames.

Emergency crews said the man driving the Honda died at the scene. The car was so badly damaged that officers could not be sure of its original color or model.

“It was burned beyond recognition,” Thibodeau said.

The collisions scattered debris across 800 feet of the highway.

Witnesses told investigators that they had seen the car speeding, but Thibodeau said his office did not receive any reports about the car before the crash.

Tamara Goulden said she thought she saw the car speed past her on I-280 as far north as Los Altos.

Gomez passed Danny Padilla near where he finally crashed the Camry.

“I’ve never seen a car go that fast on the freeway,” Padilla said.

“It looked like he was having some kind of problem,” he said, adding the Camry had its hazard lights on. Padilla said his wife thought she saw smoke coming from one of its tires.

How fast the car was going won’t be clear until officers finish their investigation into the crash, which could take a month or more, Thibodeau said.

The accident backed up southbound traffic on I-280 beyond the Saratoga exit during the peak of the morning commute. Northbound traffic was slowed as passersby slowed to look at the crash, Thibodeau said.

07 Camry is a sweet racecar, don’t they have one running in Nascar???

There is quite a few, But the NASCAR car is nothing like the Camry. However the new Camry will still beat most 240’s in a race.

It was sarcasm. The new V6 Camry will beat stock 240s on the 1/4 mile, but that’s about it, it’s still a family sedan, and a Toyota on at that meaning it has no sporty edge whatsoever, like all new Toyotas.

I get lots of minivans trying to race me for some reason, or at least they think I’m racing them when I’m just cruising by them :stuck_out_tongue: They get behind me and try to make me move or get in front of me and do crazy manevours and gun it to 140-160. I swear it’s always minivans or pick up trucks… I get so paranoid when I’m slowing down whether they’ll hit me (stop in time) or if they’ll flip over to the side or in front of me or wherever when they’re ‘racing’ me… :-/ I really hate minivan drivers.

This one other time I was almost hit by a guy with some kind of newer pick up truck (I think it was a dodge). He had to be going 180km/hr and he was not slowing down/stopping, I was just getting on the highway, i can’t explain it, it was scary, I gave him shit after I chased him down though, he was hiding afterwards in traffic…

Also the other day there was a guy with a 91 civic who was going through traffic (what little traffic there was at 11pm) I laughed at him and his buddy at the red light I think they were embarrassed. After that I just got in front of them lightly and turned really fast into some street just to show how much their car sucked :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, on a more serious note, most sports cars are owned by 50+ year old retired guys and their wives. They wait for any chance to rip it. It’s only natural, it’s a sports car.

The only thing that pisses me off is minivans and pickup trucks… and well… family cars not built to be sports cars and beatup old cars.

better yet are the two red top cab drivers (guelph) who were charged under HTA for street racing.

an officer witnessed them talking at the lights, on green they both gunned to 60-80km/h until the road narrowed to 2 lanes from 4, both were charged and suspended. I believe it was even a 60km zone.

the streets seem to have gotten meaner these days,
I see people in things like corolla’s, minivans, etc… just
thinking they’re soo cool speeding past me, lmao.

While most of the time, I’m just cruising, and getting the best
econo shifts I can get till I have something more useful to
waste gas on.

These guys crawl up behind you, trying to make you go faster, lol

The biggest problem seems to be middle class baby boomers who are to poor to afford a sports car and hate driving the shit box miny van or sedan that they have to they decide to speed everywhere because either they want to pretend they are driving a sports car or because they hate their life and want to get home faster.